Author Topic: Going back to Avast 6 and file availability  (Read 7276 times)

Gooob

Re: Going back to Avast 6 and file availability
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
I just got v6 from the Avast Store....
Mind you I purchased v7
But when clicking on Download your product - it downloads v6

Way to go Avast :-(

(sarasm mode enabled)
So yeah, if you don't want filehippo or other 3rd party source, just go to Avast and purchase v7.  They will cheerfully give you v6.
(/sarcasm)

Treborprime

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »

Perhaps if you gave details of your system and what issues you have they could be resolved.  Your statement above is inaccurate to say the least, I have v7 running on 3 systems of my own here and it is doing so perfectly. Since the final release I have installed v7 on @ 18 machines running  XP,Vista and Win7 and not had any issues so far.
[/quote]

AMD Quad core CPU running at 3.2 GHZ
8MB Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate - current on all window updates.

Install will not go past Firewall NDIS driver. The firewall.log states it can't find the NIC vendor... which means avast doesn't like Nvidia based chipsets... specifically the NIC while the OS has full control

The work around is to install it in safe mode, but if you install it in safe mode the mail shield will NOT install because in safe mode it is unable to query services to find out what the default mail client is on the system. You also can't install it nor get it working again.

Also I have benchmarked internet speed before update and after upgrade. I take a 20 percent hit in internet performance... if I shut off the web shield I gain that 20 percent back. This wasn't happening in version 6.

Avast 7 was NOT ready for final release. The beta report threads I saw pretty much proved that out. For some reason they sought to release it before it was really ready.

The feature set is nice, but that means nothing if its unstable. This forumn proves that as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:18:01 PM by Treborprime »

AdrianH

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »
Hmm, I have nVidia Ethernet on 2 machines here and zero problem with either firewall or internet speed.

There was a corrupt package in the Beta sessions where the firewall couldn't be accessed. Have you uninstalled, removed all files/folders and tried a fresh download/install?

Thinking about firewalls I do remember one of the betas wouldn't install and I found the Windows Firewall was interfering and had to make sure that was off before the install was run.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:40:01 PM by AdrianH »