Author Topic: Windows 8 Upgrade - avast! Antivirus isn't compatible.  (Read 9290 times)

NoizeUK

Windows 8 Upgrade - avast! Antivirus isn't compatible.
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
Please see the image below - http://i.imgur.com/h6bPT.png

I have tried looking into regedit and deleted what I could find avast related, used Spybot S&D to find system internal error (and delete) however I have now come to the end of my capabilities regarding this.

FYI - Avast was fully up to date, having reinstalled it fully in case there were some files not uninstalled previously. This has come to nothing.

Bare in mind I am upgrading my current Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro, which is fully compatible. The only issue stopping me from upgrading with this given path is this program which isn't even installed (control panel > Programs) on my machine. I do not want to lose any of my data/programs so other install options are not open to discussion.
Please offer any help or assistance, I would assume many others may have this issue.

Steps taken already (to do this, I am reinstalling the program in order to remove it - odd I know);

Uninstalled via aswclear.exe in safe mode and still showing as incompatible.
Attempted thorough advanced uninstall using Revo Pro trial. No luck.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:55:27 PM by NoizeUK »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows 8 Upgrade - avast! Antivirus isn't compatible.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. are you trying the latest version of avast? are there any preinstalled antivius your computer?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

NoizeUK

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. are you trying the latest version of avast? are there any preinstalled antivius your computer?

Thanks.

I have no other installed versions of avast! Antivirus as the installation I had has only perpetually been upgraded through updates, I have scanned both hard-drives and found nothing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Have you tried without Spybot installed ?

Also not recommended to use Revo to remove security programs, always use the vendors removal tool.

NoizeUK

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
Have you tried without Spybot installed ?

Also not recommended to use Revo to remove security programs, always use the vendors removal tool.

I can unsintall Spybot. That will be the next step.

I have used the correct removal tool, however that did not work. Therefore I reinstalled it and used both official removal tool and revo. To no luck.

NoizeUK

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
Ok I have fixed this now with the help of Windows Tech live help.

There seem to be a lot of useless keys in registry, these were all cleaned out.

In addition to this, there was left over files from c:\programs\awil (spelling?)\avast 5

These were NOT picked up by the official tool. These were deleted. All this was done in addition to the Revo uninstaller and the relevant official tool, selecting each and every build of avast.

Once done, refreshed the windows 8 installer and bobs your uncle. Installed with no hitch.

Avast, please ensure your software is FULLY removed as this could be a problem encountered by many of your users if they choose to upgrade to Windows 8 as it WILL stop an installation.

Hope this helps others.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
Thanks for letting us know what solved your problem, just out of curiosity did you run the removal tool for all versions of avast you've ever installed or only for version 7 ? as the removal tool has the ability to remove all versions but they need to be choosen manually.

If you had the alwil program file then that is from the 4 and early 5 versions.

NoizeUK

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
Thanks for letting us know what solved your problem, just out of curiosity did you run the removal tool for all versions of avast you've ever installed or only for version 7 ? as the removal tool has the ability to remove all versions but they need to be choosen manually.

If you had the alwil program file then that is from the 4 and early 5 versions.

Yes I selected each and every build of Avast!

These were NOT picked up by the official tool. These were deleted. All this was done in addition to the Revo uninstaller and the relevant official tool, selecting each and every build of avast.