Author Topic: MS-SMTP Plugin Waiting for subsystem to start  (Read 5543 times)

ussexplorer

MS-SMTP Plugin Waiting for subsystem to start
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
I have a windows server 2003 small business server sp2. It is running exchange 6.5 (basically 2003). I have avast 4.8 server edition installed and paid for. I noticed 2 plugin's was missing. I enabled both plugins through add/remove software. One plugin the ms-smtp plug is waiting on subsystem to start. I need to know if I need to configure it more. If it should be running from what I read. What is it waiting for. Is it a bad install of avast? I found information on what it does. That is also has something to do with IIS. Do I need a license for it. Since I noticed the standard server version requires a license per exchange user account. But that the sbs should come with it and I only have 2 email accounts that users it. Pending future update.

I called iyogi tech support but they gave me a blank since they only deal with home/professional/etc version. Not server version. The said they had a server department that would call me back. No phone call. As of yet.

So I just need to know if it is something I'm doing or not.

I did find a great write up what to load and not to load on a server in this forum.

Thanks,

Josh

ussexplorer

Re: MS-SMTP Plugin Waiting for subsystem to start
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
It is now running. I unintalled all plugins and only put back in what was needed for my setup. Now after a day or so it is running. I'm pretty sure it was the MailSheild plugin messing with the ms-smtp plug. But I don't know why it took a while before the last reboot the ms-smpt module found what it needed. It has been like 4 days since I removed all the plug-in and put in what was needed. Right after the reboot +5 minutes it still was waiting on subsystem. So who know. But it is running. I put a big note in not to use mailsheild with ms-smtp plugin.

Thanks,

Josh

wpn

Re: MS-SMTP Plugin Waiting for subsystem to start
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
plugins usually start running when htey are needed.
in this case when mail is send, so it is possible that you will find the plugin waiting again when the smtp part of windows is not active

compare it to the NEWSGROUPS plugin, it doesnt run until you start opening newsgroups