Author Topic: how to Schedule a boot-time scanning from command line  (Read 9692 times)

octopusy

how to Schedule a boot-time scanning from command line
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »
I'd like to prepare automatic scanning for every weekend - is it possible to prepare bat file (command line), that makes it automatically? something like this

( 0. defrag c: -f > log.txt )
1. download last update <--this one I need
2. schedule a boot-time scanning <--this one I need
3. shutdown -r

I have: Windows XP, Avast Home

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: how to Schedule a boot-time scanning from command line
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:04:25 PM »
There is no command line scanning function with the free home version only the pro version. You may also schedule scan with the Pro version.

There is a work around for the Home version.
Check This out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of protection and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

1. as far as I'm aware this isn't possible. First there would need to be an internet connectionopen, avast doesn't establish one, just checks if one exists. With avasts incremental autoupdate function, there shouldn't really need to schedule an update.

2. the boot-time scan requires interaction between avast and the windows environment boot function after you have selected you want to schedule boot-time scan (a number of files need to be changed to schedule a boot-time scan), so I don't see how this could be achieved with a simple comand line batch file.

The main reason a boot-time scan is required it deal with files that are either in use or in system folders and as such protected by windows. So again I'm unsure why this would be required on a regular (schedule) basis.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

octopusy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »
Check This out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!
yes this is nice, thank you

2. the boot-time scan requires interaction between avast and the windows environment boot function after you have selected you want to schedule boot-time scan (a number of files need to be changed to schedule a boot-time scan), so I don't see how this could be achieved with a simple comand line batch file.
i just want to do the same what i can do via GUI. I can select from menu schedule at boot-time and now I'm asking if I can do it via command line.
- call avast with some parameters -> avast will set scanning after next reboot he can do it
- I force reboot using shutdown /r
so exactly the same way like usually, but instead set it manually from GUI I would like to set it from command line - only this. Got it? ???

The main reason a boot-time scan is required it deal with files that are either in use or in system folders and as such protected by windows. So again I'm unsure why this would be required on a regular (schedule) basis.
I manage ten computers and all of them are remote. So people who use them don't want to learn how to set up scanning at boot time and I don't want to remember do it regularly, so I discover that I can start bat file every eg. week and rest of procedure is automatically - nobody care about it and nobody has to remember ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »
Actually, there IS a way to schedule the boot-time from a command-line, even in the Home Edition.

See the sched.exe program in the avast folder.

Type sched /? to find out how to use it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.