Author Topic: Bearded Model Virus - Need Help!  (Read 2869 times)

greendogs

Bearded Model Virus - Need Help!
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
I use Avast because of disasters with Norton.  I was on Huffington Post and clicked on a silly article about bearded models.  Right after I clicked on it, Avast responded that a virus was hitting my computer.  It looks like the virus disabled Avast and set me up via a Microsoft-looking "Computer Security Center (unregistered)" to get help if I gave a credit card number.   The virus has blocked access to my ability to scan and fix.  Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Bearded Model Virus - Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:02 PM »
Are you sure you've installed avast and not a fake antivirus?

I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Bearded Model Virus - Need Help!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
Is this the one you have ? if not, can you give the exact name then we may find the exact removal guide.....

Remove Protection Center (Uninstall Guide)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-protection-center