Author Topic: Does Avast work with Win7  (Read 7548 times)

ridgeley

Does Avast work with Win7
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
Will Avast Home Edition work with Windows 7, 32-bit (netbook)?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does Avast work with Win7
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 02:05:05 AM »
The short answer is yes.

Longer answer with information, http://www.avast.com/eng/press-release-windows-7-logo.html.

This relates to avast 4.8.

There is a beta trial ongoing for the new avast 5.0, that however, although it works on netbooks there are some GUI glitches relating to resolution, screen size that need to be resolved. That I believe will be done before it is released.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ridgeley

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »
So then if I buy a netbook with Win7 this weekend, I should go ahead and download Avast? I really don't want to do the Norton thing again.

Thanks!

Osage

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:44:21 AM »
So then if I buy a netbook with Win7 this weekend, I should go ahead and download Avast? I really don't want to do the Norton thing again.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a word, yes, but still beware. If the win 7 netbook comes with a trial version of McAfee or Norton preinstalled,  you may have to go to the McAfee or Norton website and download their uninstallers. Because simply using add remove programs to do the same may leave left over bits of McAfee or Norton that will conflict with any other AV you choose to install.

My other position is and remains, anytime you buy a new computer, you should pre down load and burn to CD-R most of the security system you plan to use.  And have your new security system up and running  BEFORE you ever expose the new computer to the internet. You will still have to do the new updates for your security system, but at least you are not bare assed naked before completing the updates. 

And did I forget to mention, Avast, in my experience updates faster than most other AV's.  Meaning you spend less time on the internet only partially patched.

osants911

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:47:56 AM »
Yes, You Should use avast! :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:48:44 PM »

Thanks!

No contest.

I would suggest that you download the full installation file (about 37MB) in advance and copy it to a USB or CD ready to copy to your new netbook so you can install off-line.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Or - Direct download link for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

- Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RugbyPete

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
Been running fine for months on W7. Go for it

mikhalek

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
Win 7 64-bit, works fine but no sound... :P

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
@mikhalek

No problems with sounds on Win7 64-bit for me.

I had to download the Realtek High Definition Audio driver for my Gigabyte motherboard from the Gigabyte site though.

ridgeley

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 05:52:06 AM »

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a word, yes, but still beware. If the win 7 netbook comes with a trial version of McAfee or Norton preinstalled,  you may have to go to the McAfee or Norton website and download their uninstallers. Because simply using add remove programs to do the same may leave left over bits of McAfee or Norton that will conflict with any other AV you choose to install.

My other position is and remains, anytime you buy a new computer, you should pre down load and burn to CD-R most of the security system you plan to use.  And have your new security system up and running  BEFORE you ever expose the new computer to the internet. You will still have to do the new updates for your security system, but at least you are not bare assed naked before completing the updates. 

And did I forget to mention, Avast, in my experience updates faster than most other AV's.  Meaning you spend less time on the internet only partially patched.

Avast is now installed on the new netbook, and I uninstalled Norton. Should I also uninstall Windows Defender, or is that something different? Does Avast cover pretty much everything?

Thanks to everyone who responded!

NAMOR

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
Win 7 64-bit, works fine but no sound... :P

I get sound with Avast on Win 7 64 bit.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »
@ridgeley

Please add your repy after the /quote tag
Avast is now installed on the new netbook, and I uninstalled Norton. Should I also uninstall Windows Defender, or is that something different? Does Avast cover pretty much everything?

Thanks to everyone who responded!
Your response will be easier to understand this way.

Windows Defender is an addition layer of protection and can be removed but its not necessary to remove it.

@Robz

Windows 7 provides default sounds that are OK but the sounds that are provided by the audio driver from provider for Windows 7 are much better.

When I updated to Windows 7 I had Windows sounds but they were tame compared to what I was used to before I updated so I installed the Windows 7 audio drivers for my Gigabyte motherboard that has Realtek High Definition Audio.

I did not want to trust Windows Update as it did not find the Realtek audio adapter present.

I tried to use the CD that came with the motherboard to update the basic audio driver but it would not run on the 64-bit system.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:02:02 PM by YoKenny »