Author Topic: problem with ssl account after desinstallation  (Read 4575 times)

cvsa

problem with ssl account after desinstallation
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
on my xp sp3 pc, i have a problem after avast v5 desisntallation : i cannot send via gmail smtp port 465. I use my usual email client (foxmail) but it's the same with thundebird or OE. :'( :-[ and yes my ports are well configured in my email client...
I think avast didn't uninstall its redirection of ssl ports or something like that... :-\
i tried reinstalling avast, and my ssl smtp is back again.... i used  avast removal tool but the same problem happened. That's not cool : i'm forced to use avast unless i can't send mails via ssl anymore...

please help me.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: problem with ssl account after desinstallation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »
Have you checked your email program, email account settings and ensure that you have the SSL/TLS option checked that you unchecked to use avast and have it scan SSL email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cvsa

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:43:58 AM »
yes of course but the problem is not for avast to manage ssl, it's after avast uninstallation to be able to use ssl after correct mail client configuration of course.

should i delete ssl settings in avast advanced mail settings  and then desactivate mail shield BEFORE uninstalling avast ?

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »
You shouldn't have to change any settings in Avast prior to uninstalling it.  I think what David was telling you is after you uninstall Avast, for you then to go into your email accounts and reactivate (enable) your SSL settings as they would normally be set.  Try this and see if your email works.

cvsa

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:47 AM »
ok guys, but as i said in my previous posts ::), i did it several times and it still doesn't work. i set ssl back, re_change my ports (465) for ssl..... and i get the message "can't connect to server"..... then if i re install avast, everything's fine :P :P

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
Have you checked your firewall?  It's beginning to sound like it may be a FW issue..."can't connect to server."

cvsa

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »
yes, tried desactivating AND uninstalling my comodo firewall

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
I misunderstood you in my first post.  When I had you change your email account settings back to the SSL settings (default for the email client), they won't work with Avast.  Please take a look at this: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458 for the proper settings and see if this helps.  You probably have to click on the images to see the proper settings.

cvsa

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
you still missed ssomething ;)

avast is perfectly working on my computer. the problem appears when i uninstall avast : my mail client can't connect smtp ssl gmail server (even after configuring my account correctly ) normal pop/smtp connections work perfectly. in this case, if i reinstall avast, i can use ssl smtp again (changing my account settings of course).

that's a strange behaviour and i wondered if avast doesn't leave a redirection when i uninstall it ???

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
I'm out of suggestions.  I suggest contacting Avast to submit a technical support ticket:
http://www.avast.com/contacts.