Author Topic: Gaming Mode set itself to ON? Or did the virus do it?  (Read 7723 times)

jenpen

Gaming Mode set itself to ON? Or did the virus do it?
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
I got a virus today. When I opened Avast to do a scan, I found that Gaming Mode was set to ON (I never game and did not do this) so I didn't get any alerts. Has anyone heard of a virus that could do this? Smart!

ady4um

Re: Gaming Mode set itself to ON? Or did the virus do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
The "full-screen" mode is ON by default. The silent/game mode is not supposed to be ON by default.

I don't know of some other tools / software / malware changing this specific Avast setting without the user's permission (but that doesn't necessary mean it doesn't exist  ??? ::) ).

Daris

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
I would do a Boot Scan with Avast. And would also do a second opinion scan with Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware, the free versions...One or the other, You can get them from Download dot com, and set Avast "File System Shields"  Actions to: Put In Chest ..If you still have problems, Post here again with more info about which Avast you are using and more info on which OS you are using, and which other Security progams you have running alongside Avast.
TC and safe surfing!!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
I got a virus today. When I opened Avast to do a scan, I found that Gaming Mode was set to ON (I never game and did not do this) so I didn't get any alerts. Has anyone heard of a virus that could do this? Smart!
What makes you think you got a virus ? was there anything placed in the avast virus chest, were there any other symptoms or just the gaming mode being changed ?

Also if your wanting to download any malware scanners dont use Download dot com unless you want toolbars, use other sites like filehippo, fileforum, softpedia, majorgeeks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:00:01 PM by craigb »

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
I would do a Boot Scan with Avast. And would also do a second opinion scan with Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware, the free versions...One or the other, You can get them from Download dot com, and set Avast "File System Shields"  Actions to: Put In Chest ..If you still have problems, Post here again with more info about which Avast you are using and more info on which OS you are using, and which other Security progams you have running alongside Avast.
TC and safe surfing!!
I would never take advice from a user that is running Windows XP SP2 and IE7.

ethan76

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »
TC and safe surfing!!
I would never take advice from a user that is running Windows XP SP2 and IE7.
As always the bloddy fj says it all. Nice encouragement there fj.

Daris

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
First of all to CraigB, Malwarebytes and SAS DO NOT INCLUDE TOOLBARS in their download, also download dot com scans all the programs that are downloaded prior to the run phase....that is why I suggested that site, but yes you can choose any place to download those programs from for they are very popular.

For YoKenney....The Topic in this post is not about what OS I am using nor about which IE I prefer..It would be nice if you would try helping the person in question instead of scrolling down the posts or replies to find out who is using what programs...AND for the third time, I have already told you, I Own a Mac desktop and an older xp sp3 laptop, that I feel comfortable taking with me where ever I go and not worrying about it. Today I happen to be at Starbucks.
  Also I have told you previously, I only use this IE7 because it is the original one that came with my recovery CD, I do not like any of the IE versions and use Opera browser as my favorite one and on games I use Firefox..If You have any other questions about my favorite programs or if you're in doubt as to any of my other software I am using, please feel free to email me in person, so that people can use this space to help the people with problems, and we can stay on topic.

jenpen

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »
What makes you think you got a virus ? was there anything placed in the avast virus chest, were there any other symptoms or just the gaming mode being changed ?

Also if your wanting to download any malware scanners dont use Download dot com unless you want toolbars, use other sites like filehippo, fileforum, softpedia, majorgeeks.

How do I know I got a virus? When I booted up the screen was flickering and the bar at the bottom said "Trying to connect to: http:// etc etc", even though I didn't have a browser open. I immediately disconnected and opened Avast and did a full system scan. It came up with 2 infected files: suwpou.php and xgpxft.php. I googled them but couldn't find any reference to viruses or malware. Anyway, they're in the chest now.
I'm worried that I got infected even though Avast was fully functional and updated. And this one seems to have turned gaming mode on so I didn't get any alerts either.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »
For YoKenney....The Topic in this post is not about what OS I am using nor about which IE I prefer
Then maybe you should read about Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). Located in the C:\Windows directory, it is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »
Also please read:
22 Reasons to Patch Your Windows PC
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/08/22-reasons-to-patch-your-windows-pc
Current Version Of Opera Not Secured 
http://www.efytimes.com/e1/71617/fullnews.htm
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:58:09 AM by YoKenny »

Daris

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:59:58 AM »
YoKenney...You are off Topic again...I am not the original person that started this thread. Nor am I the one asking for your help in any way in this thread. If you would like to talk about EXPLORER than Start your own thread..And I did not delete the explorer.exe and frankly the only reason I bought this XP is because it's handy and if something happens to it I will get another one. Although I have not had any at all issues or errors in my event manger in the last year or so why would I change anything. And Still have my Mac Desktop at home.
  The person that started this post is asking of you to help him/her with the Virus or infection problem they are having, and you are talking to me about my EXPLORER.
  Again If you have any questions or want to share your opinion about certain things with me than please feel free to send me an email..Or Start your own Topic and we can all get in on it.
 Thank You

Daris

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:32 AM »
Jenpen...I would do a Scan with MBAM or SAS, they are both free as scanners...Than I would use a registry cleaner to get rid of any leftovers and fix issues ...eg. CCleaner or Glary Utilities these are free and are easy on the registry and not aggressive..Than I would do a disc check for errors..Than when all is clean I would do a repair on Avast from control panel if your alerts aren't working cause the gaming mode is on.....You can also try and setting Avast to its Default settings in Settings - Troubleshooting  but than you will have to set your Shields and everything all over again to your preferences if this doesn't fix the issue. 

Also what Operating System are you using? and do you have any other security programs alongside Avast?

TC and keep us updated

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »
How do I know I got a virus? When I booted up the screen was flickering and the bar at the bottom said "Trying to connect to: http:// etc etc", even though I didn't have a browser open. I immediately disconnected and opened Avast and did a full system scan. It came up with 2 infected files: suwpou.php and xgpxft.php. I googled them but couldn't find any reference to viruses or malware. Anyway, they're in the chest now.
I'm worried that I got infected even though Avast was fully functional and updated. And this one seems to have turned gaming mode on so I didn't get any alerts either.

Can you please give more specific info? What action did you take with those 2 Avast's warnings? Are those 2 files in the chest now? Which was their original location? If you rescan, do you find anything else? Which type of malware they are (what Avast reported)?

Could you upload those files to virustotal.com? Or those are not really files?

As already asked, please inform OS, SP, x32/x64, other security software that you currently have installed or that you ever HAD installed in the past and any other relevant info.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
First of all to CraigB, Malwarebytes and SAS DO NOT INCLUDE TOOLBARS in their download, also download dot com scans all the programs that are downloaded prior to the run phase....that is why I suggested that site, but yes you can choose any place to download those programs from for they are very popular.

I know MBAM and SAS dont include toolbars but download dot com are forcing there toolbar on people to be able to download from them are they not ? your recomending some untrustworth things here now and i would also not advise the OP to run Glary Utilities as that can mess up there system, safer is sticking with ccleaner.

jenpen please follow and answer the questions asked by ady4um and run scans with MBAM and SAS as Daris has mentioned.

jenpen

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 02:54:03 AM »
OK, I'm back but not very impressed with this thread being hijacked. It's hard to sort through for the useful bits.

As I said, the two files are in the chest. Both were in /store/images/ folders of archived zencart (e-commerce) stores, both with "last updated" date of 26/6/2009. And the Virus was "PHP:Shell-AX [Trj]. Is it possible to upload them to virustotal.com when they're in the chest?

I did another full scan and it found nothing. Silent/gaming mode has remained OFF since I reset it.

I'm on Windows 7 Professional x64.