Author Topic: Fix Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro  (Read 28903 times)

Batzilla

Fix Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:30:31 AM »
I work as an IT Technician and today we have had two Computers Come in after updating to Avast 2014, They get to the Welcome Screen in Windows XP them Restart in a continuous loop I have found two files that have been causing an issue aswrvrt.sys stopping me booting into Safe Mode as it hangs on this, & fssfltr_tdi.sys which is displayed in BSOD straight after the welcome screen I found removing these files (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) allows me to boot back into Windows and Finish the Update. To remove them I used Kaspersky Boot Disk to browse the Drive.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:30:13 AM by Batzilla »

Batzilla

Re: Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
Send them here As I have applied this Repair Twice today and it has resolved the issues both times :) It is unfortunate to see but Hopefully it gets fixed quickly before many more people get effected.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Fix Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
I work as an IT Technician and today we have had two Computers Come in after updating to Avast 2014, They get to the Welcome Screen in Windows XP them Restart in a continuous loop I have found two files that have been causing an issue aswrvrt.sys stopping me booting into Safe Mode as it hangs on this, & fssfltr_tdi.sys which is displayed in BSOD straight after the welcome screen I found removing these files (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) allows me to boot back into Windows and Finish the Update. To remove them I used Kaspersky Boot Disk to browse the Drive.
Thanks,
some of us have come near to this conclusion.
There are those who have deleted these files using another hard drive and those who used a tool on boot cd rom.
However I hope avast will not be long to give users an official fix
I would like to know the number of pc out to date because they can't do what we have done.
it looks like a virus attack, the funniest in this story  is that it comes from the antivirus itself  ;D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
This file is part of  Family Safety Filter Driver (TDI). by Microsoft

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
Really sorry for the troubles. We are just investigating the causes. Please if you still experience issues on WinXP, please would you be able to zip folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs and send it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

oneclickplus

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »
I have 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) clients calling with blue screens.  It's going to be a really busy Friday.  What a cluster phuck!

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Really sorry for the troubles. We are just investigating the causes. Please if you still experience issues on WinXP, please would you be able to zip folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs and send it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/
folder zipped , I hope I have done it right

coolpoints

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
 >:( I have made two calls to the AVAST helpdesk.  Both times, they refused to look at this forum page and insisted this had nothing to do with their antivirus software update.  They were more than willing to charge me $179.00 to fix it for me.  I am not using the free version of their software.  I had paid for two years of premium service and HAD been happy up until now.  My service expires in January 2014 and unless they get this fixed for free in the next few days, I will be switching to new ant-virus software or as much as I can't stand the company, I will finally switch to an Mac.  Unhelpfuldesk employees Louis and Michael (10COLcaller#1), I hope you have stock in your company, and I hope you lose your shirts.

coolpoints

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
Just called for third time. Thanks For hanging up on me Crystal.  At the time of this call, there had been 619 people that had viewed this thread.  The numbers with this problem are growing quickly.  Crystal had good news for me however. She made another pitch that Avast could fix this problem for a mere $179.00 for my one computer. Man, she is quite the IT professional.  I can't wait to renew my anti virus contract in January.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »
@ coolpoints
People viewing it doesn't mean that they all have this problem or they are unique views.

Have you done as suggested and upload the folders as requested by hectic-mmv (avast team) in Reply #5 above.

I would leave the support phone number alone, it is a third party support company (not going direct to avast) and you are more likely to find experienced avast users right here (including an avast team member in the topic requesting information).

EDIT: When you zip the requested folders give it a unique name, e.g. your username + log-folder.zip, etc. coolpoints-log-folder.zip.
Post again and give the file name that you uploaded so that hectic-mmv expects it and it can be identified.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:41:22 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »

hello,

I just send file named "Persistant Data.rar" without my name (on the other hand there is a "readme" with info  inside)
Have I to send it again with other "rar" name (pseudo)?
Or you have found it ? (10/25/2013 at 10:40)

Thanks

oneclickplus

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Just called for third time. Thanks For hanging up on me Crystal.  At the time of this call, there had been 619 people that had viewed this thread.  The numbers with this problem are growing quickly.  Crystal had good news for me however. She made another pitch that Avast could fix this problem for a mere $179.00 for my one computer. Man, she is quite the IT professional.  I can't wait to renew my anti virus contract in January.

You're not talking to Avast when you call.  They use a 3rd party.  It used to be a company called iyogi.  Eventually, after many complaints (including from me) about the company pushing unnecessary and expensive support contracts, they were dropped.  Here's an article explaining it:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/avast-antivirus-drops-iyogi-support/

Now, it appears that they (Avast) are in bed with yet another 3rd party support company (or maybe it's just iyogi reincarnated) doing exactly the same thing.  Apparently, the lesson has not been learned.

But you should learn this lesson:  Avast does not support their own product (by phone) - they farm it out.  The do NOT answer their own phones.  Don't waste your time calling.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:56:00 PM by oneclickplus »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »

Please report it to Adam Riley: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=profile;u=16074
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

obe0009

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
I have problems with Avast after installing Avast for the first time.
Everything is read only, and stays read only.

Regards,

olaf