Author Topic: Avast Network Shield Issue - loosing connection  (Read 10845 times)

DonZ63

Re: Avast Network Shield Issue - loosing connection
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
A few more ideas.

Make sure that avast!Antivirus service is not disabled and is started.

You can download TCPView from the SysInternals web site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437. No install required. Set it to remain on top of the desktop. You can then get a grip on what is happening as you try to connect to a web site. You should see your browser using a connection to IP 127.0.0.1 to Port 12080. You should see connections by avastsrv.exe to/from IP 127.0.0.1. Finally you should observe a connections from avastsrv.exe to port 80.

By the way, can to connect to your browser home page?

Popo

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi guys,

back in the office after weekend...

DonZ63 - I dont have any other proxy servers. With avast web shield off i can connect to https. DNS, and DHCP are set to 192.168.2.1, and that is my routers adress. I tried TCPView, and when i try to connect to google website it shows few connection attempts on diffrent local ports, and they disappear after few seconds. I attached printscreen.

Best regards
Piotr

DonZ63

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »
I don't know what to tell you at this point.

I see the Firefox output to 127.0.0.1 port 12080 and that is it. Unless you set up specific firewall rules to the contray, it appears that at least part of Avast is working. It is capturing outbound TCP port 80 traffic from Firefox and rerouting it to localhost TCP port 12080. Then nothing.

Your hosts file in XP is not locked down by other software by any chance? SpywareBlaster, Spybot, SuperAntispyware, etc. all have an option to block access/modification of the hosts file. Maybe forum mods know if a host file lockdown will affect avastsvc.exe operation?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
Hi Popo,
it seems there is something on your PC that is blocking the connection between Firefox and WebShield. I can see WebShield is listening on its port.

AvastSvc.exe: localport=12080, State=LISTENING

Those FireFox.exe connections with SYN_SENT are connections attempt to WebShield, which is also perfectly normal. But here, webshield should response and create the connection between Firefox. Which apparently does not happen at your setup. Either there is something blocking it (a firewall?) or WebShield is somehow !stuck!

If you terminate WebShield in the GUI, does the listening 12080 port wanishes? (if WebShield is stuck, it usually does not responds to stop requests and the port remains opened/in listening state even when the provider was requested to stop).

Thanks.
L.

DonZ63

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
I went through this thread in detail and never saw any reference to what firewall you are using?

If it is other that the XP firewall, see if you have a firewall rule that blocks localhost or 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 either inbound or outbound.

If not the XP firewall, a screen shot of your existing firewall rules will greatly help.

Bottom line - avastsvc.exe needs unrestricted access to localhost inbound and outbound.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
I went through this thread in detail and never saw any reference to what firewall you are using?

If it is other that the XP firewall, see if you have a firewall rule that blocks localhost or 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 either inbound or outbound.

If not the XP firewall, a screen shot of your existing firewall rules will greatly help.

Bottom line - avastsvc.exe needs unrestricted access to localhost inbound and outbound.

Do you currently have any other security tool installed? Or maybe you installed one and uninstalled it later?

In addition, do you have any rules in your firewall related to Avast?
Do you have this problem browsing to any url, or just on specific sites?

Please try with IE instead of FF, just to test if you can use it with the web shield being active.

Please report back.

So, not the first time it is asked. What firewall are you using? Can you delete the firewall rules (for all available "network connections") so to recreate them?

Do you have firewall rules for avastsvc.exe?

Popo

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »
Hi guys,

Avast updated itself to 6.0.1367 and my problem dissappeared. Thank you for your help. Maybe the solution is somewhere in changelog?

Best Regards
Piotr

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
Hi guys,

Avast updated itself to 6.0.1367 and my problem dissappeared. Thank you for your help. Maybe the solution is somewhere in changelog?

Best Regards
Piotr

Glad to hear that, he have made some minor improvements in the WebShield in this update (for example it now supports WebSocket HTTP Upgrade request) so a few things have changed. Allthough I don't know for sure what was the cause of your troubles I am happy to hear they are now gone! Thanks for the info and patience!!

Lukas