Author Topic: Avast Network Shield Issue - loosing connection  (Read 10844 times)

Popo

Avast Network Shield Issue - loosing connection
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
Hi,

I have a new, clean install of WinXP SP3, and I use Avast Pro 6.0.1289 paid version. Problem is - with Network Shield active i can`t connect to any website (Firefox 8.0.1), but i can ping those websites with cmd/ping.

Additionally in windows log shows some DHCP 1000,1003 and 2505 errors. Only when Shield is active.

WinXP, Firefox and Avast are only 3 programs installed on my pc. I have checked other network cards, and it doesn`t change anything. When shield is deactivated everything works fine, but... what is the point of paying for program if you cant use all it`s features?

Peter

iyogisolutions1

Re: Avast Network Shield Issue - loosing connection
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
Hi,

Please change the settings in the Avast

Web Shield"->"Expert Settings"->"Main Settings

Please enable "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only "

Hope the issue will be fixed.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
@Popo,

Since you are reporting about Network Shield, and the above suggestion talks about Web shield, please report back if that suggestion was enough to solve your problem (it may).

In addition, are you using any firewall?

Popo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
Sorry, my mistake - the issue is with Web Shield. I am using Polish version, and mistranslated it.

Unfortunately Yogi solution didn`t work.

I am using Windows Firewall. As i told you earlier - this is fresh system. (may be a little bit ancient - Celeron 2.2 Ghz + 512 mb ram, but that will be more than enough for office work)

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
Do you currently have any other security tool installed? Or maybe you installed one and uninstalled it later?

In addition, do you have any rules in your firewall related to Avast?

Do you have this problem browsing to any url, or just on specific sites?

Please try with IE instead of FF, just to test if you can use it with the web shield being active.

Please report back.

DonZ63

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Sounds to be like a possible issue with Avast web shield localhost proxy and Firefox 8?

Perhaps someone using Firefox 8 can chime in. I don't use Firefox.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
This can be also occur due to incorrect proxy settings in the web browser for Avast

Please try this work around,and update us back

Include the Proxy server settings for Internet Explorer when using broadband and/or local area network (LAN) Internet connection
1.   Start Internet Explorer.
2.   Select Tools -> Internet Options... from the main menu.
3.   Switch to page Connections.
4.   Click on the LAN Settings... button.
5.   Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
6.   Write localhost into the Address field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
7.   Enter 12080 into the Port field.
8.   Confirm with OK button

Popo

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »
Hi guys, i really appreciate your help.

Ady4um - I don`t have any other security tools, and I didnt install any of them earlier on this pc.

iYogisolutions1 - Tried this, but i keep getting "connection rejected by proxy" error in FF, and general error in IE.

I am wondering, if by any chance that is a hardware problem. Avast works perfectly on 3 other pcs in my network, and this is first time I have ever had problem with it.

Best Regards
Piotr

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
Hi Popo,
how are you connected to the network? Do you have multiple network cards? DHCP error 1003 is displayed when there are more that one DHCP server on the network, which is probably a faulty configuration. Can you please check that?

Lukas.

Popo

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
Hi Lukor,

indeed I have 2 cards, but I installed second just to make sure, that first one was working as it should. Pc is connected directly to router in my office, and router is connected to rest of network in building. All other PCs use deafult settings and they work absolutely fine, without avast problems.

Best Regards
Piotr

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
So, to sum it up:

Your internet connection works OK, you can send emails, ping your local network, ping internet. However you are unable to browse in the Web browser (Firefox). The problems vanish as soon as you turn off the WebShield provider (Osłona WWW).

I am right? The same happens for Internet Explorer?

Could you please try to restart "Avast! Antivirus" service, from the services control panel. Any changes after that?

DonZ63

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
Have you tried to reset the TCP/IP stack?

Open a command prompt window and type:

ipconfig /release

when that command completes, then type:

ipconfig /renew

Are the other PCs that connect OK using Avast connected to the same router?

Is the DHCP server you are connected to located on that router or does your company use a dedicated DHCP server?

Popo

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »
DonZ64 - Reseting TCP/IP stack didn`t help. We use our own router as DHCP server. Other pc`s work fine.

Lukor - You are right. I can ping my network, connect to mapped drives, print stuff, etc. with Webshield on, but I can`t browse. It doesn`t matter if I use FF, or IE, it still doesn`t work. I am slowly running out of ideas.

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
I wonder if the problem is only related to http traffic, or anything going through web browsers. I mean, if you open some "ftp://" site in IE...

I guess Lukor would be able to find what's going on with some more tests.

DonZ63

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
Do have any other proxy servers on your PC or on the router? uTorrent, etc.

Can you connect to a https web site?

Another possibilty is Avast web shield is just not compatiable with your NIC. Or the NIC driver is partially hosed.

From the command prompt window type ipconfig /all and verify the DNS and DHCP servers are your gateway i.e. router. BTW - where is your DNS server? On the router?