Author Topic: Avast Free Error connectng to server....  (Read 2047 times)

Andrea Caudill

Avast Free Error connectng to server....
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:07:48 AM »
I have just uploaded Avast Free and am receiving an error message about connecting to the server when checking for software updates and definition file updates. Do you have any help for me on this. IE7 is my defaut browser and I have already added avast.com to the 'allowed' list of acceptable sites. The error I receive says, "Error contacting server". Can you please help me with this.

Andrea Caudill

Re: Avast Free Error connectng to server....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:43 AM »
I was seemingly able to update the definition files and software through the CCleaner program. Does this really update the software though and is it 'seen' by the software? Still would like to be able to update through the software....Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free Error connectng to server....
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:46:38 AM »
Personally I wouldn't try that.

Check the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings, Direct Connection (no proxy) instead of the Auto Detect (use Internet Explorer settings) option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security