Author Topic: Avast Web shield  (Read 53791 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast Web shield
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
your report file showed that both Avast and ZA were installed on that one and same infected computer :)

avastsvc.exe -> C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe -> [2010/12/31 14:06:34 | 000,040,384 | ---- | M | MD5 = F868DEED98DCEA4338F3986D5C5D5E96] (AVAST Software)

zlclient.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe -> [2010/08/29 02:53:14 | 001,039,360 | ---- | M | MD5 = A81C2966F7D74E9710D58F359DE363B8] (Check Point Software Technologies LTD)

DAV2

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »
I am sorry. I may not have been very clear. ZA E is on the computer with Avast and they both run very well. I have the AV of ZA E disabled and testing it.  The computer that Avast failed has only ZA P that does not contain an AV. I have Defender and Mbam disabled until I use them to scan. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:04:16 PM by DAV2 »

Hermite15

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
okay, just ZA P (ie firewall) installed with Avast free has been a source of trouble for many users. As to ZA E, deactivating an AV on one side doesn't prevent conflicts. I already described that.

And if you think that Avast failed, submit the sample that mbam probably quarantined to Avast.

DAV2

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »
 I have been having a lot of security problems. Win firewall immediately disables itself after new load and I have checked it to see that it was working. Then the computer loads my network password all by itself and starts communicating with the net. The only thing I have found to block this is Zone Alarm. Mca.., failed completely and would not even go to its own site to load the program. I will try to get the quarantined Trojan to Avast. The Avast real time scanner just stopped and would not restart and the web scanner scanned 10 of thousands of non virus containing pages, that slowed down the browser considerably. Again, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:56:13 AM by DAV2 »

Hermite15

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »
I have been having a lot of security problems. Win firewall immediately disables itself after new load and I have checked it to see that it was working. Then the computer loads my network password all by itself and starts communicating with the net. The only thing I have found to block this is Zone Alarm. Mca.., failed completely and would not even go to its own site to load the program. I will try to get the quarantined Trojan to Avast. The Avast real time scanner just stopped and would not restart and the web scanner scanned 10 of thousands of non virus containing pages, that slowed down the browser considerably. Again, thanks.

may be time for a new Windows install, no? your system seems to be particularly unstable. What network password are you talking about?

DAV2

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
I reloaded Xp Pro more times than I have fingers from scratch. Win 7 Pro has been reloaded from scratch more than I can remember, because it has been so many that I have lost count. I am again sorry about my terminology.  What I meant was the Workgroups name. I make them up and it knew it before I could even put it in for the first time after re stripping/fdisk/reformatting.

Hermite15

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
you might be better off upgrading your other PC to W7 as well, and then start to use "homegroup" instead of "workgroup". W7 homegroups are more secure, stable and extremely easy to setup ;)

ps: on a side note, I can't see how a workgroup name could be remembered after a new setup, that's hardly possible... or see may be at router level, but I never saw that happen.

(..also, not sure if ZA firewall conflicts with Avast webshield, but this could well be the case)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
(..also, not sure if ZA firewall conflicts with Avast webshield, but this could well be the case)

A clear yes to ZA conflicting with avast sometimes...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DAV2

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
Logos, I thank you for all your help. Mbam now scans hard disks in 5 minutes instead of 15 and the browser is back to being almost instantaneous instead of my waiting 10 of seconds to get the favorites displayed. I am also able to get a non blank homepage after clean code was applied. Yes, I am having router problems also. Some of the hard wire connections have become intermittent for unknown reasons. The encrypted wireless seems to remain intact. Thanks for the "homegroup" suggestion. I found out that reload from scratch was only good if it was done when the computer was disconnected from the net. If it was done while connected to the net, it did things like described above. Now I use a kill disk to zero out the drive before re stripe/fdisk/reformat/reload. (I replaced too many controllers and hard disks before this routine) Then I wind up as above with 2 way firewall and AV scanner failing and Trojans placed that then download other malicious programs. I am still looking for a working/stable security system. I have also been exploring Hija.. and Comb.., but none yet seem foolproof. Now I do have to get to work kill disk etc. to several non functioning computers. Yes, I have had Microsoft techs along with security techs working live to verify all was working correctly and they say their product is functioning as designed. Seems like "design" is the problem.

DAV2

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
Logos, sometimes it just is that I do not always understand results. Can you shine some light on attached result? Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:29:13 PM by DAV2 »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
That occurs when you start a scan and at some point avast! clears up old virus definitions, so they are queued up but gone before being scanned. avast! is reporting this to you.

The is a post here by igor (avast! team) , showing that it is not a problem:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63582.msg537439#msg537439

DAV2

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
I was wondering since I had a Mbam expert, why Mbam now scans in 5 minutes when it for the last 1yr and many fdisk/reformat/reinstalls of Win 7P,  has always taken in the 10 to 15+ minute range. In other words, why the 3 x speed of the Mbam scan after OTS clean? I also noticed that Avast became dysfunctional after latest update to new version. Why doesn't Avast warn when it is dysfunctional? It restored functionality with a reinstall. FYI: I have never used a kill disk on this computer. (I tried but something interferes with the boot process of the kill disk on this computer, so I reserved that to another time.) Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:51:55 PM by DAV2 »

DAV2

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
Again, sometimes it just is that I do not always understand results. Can you shine some light on attached result? I have not accessed D: today. Why does this activity occur all by itself? Thank you in advance.

MAG

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
I think this may be related to windows updates - most probably windows defender updates. Have you had a recent update (chekc through Action Centre)?

Hermite15

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
I think this may be related to windows updates - most probably windows defender updates. Have you had a recent update (chekc through Action Centre)?

yes :) (I mean yes that's WinDef)