Author Topic: Avast Web shield  (Read 53562 times)

DAV2

Re: Avast Web shield
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
I thank you both for your sharing your expertise. Yes, defender did update today. It resides on C:. What if D: was not active? Would it have updated entirely on C: and ignored D:?  Why is it accessing D: to update to C:? It is not active and is not scanning. Just the Win update is automatic. Thanks in advance.

MAG

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
I think that perhaps defender just defaults to the drive with most free space.

MAG

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Someone else on Microsoft answers thinks so too.
Rob KochMVP, Moderator

I suspect it is on D: because it uses a drive that has lots of free space like Office does when storing the installer files and some other installs and updates.

-steve ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~

That's correct, the Windows update system always defaults to the volume with the most space available to place its temporary files.

Rob

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Also when you ran OTL I had it clear all of your temporary files - hence a lot less for MBAM to look at  ;D

DAV2

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks. You are all very good at this and I am learning why these things happen. I have used (Ccleaner), always do regular Windows disk cleanup and full browser deletes of files along with reloads as described above and never got Mbam to run as fast as this. I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
Rather than CC you could try this - it uses the same routines as OTL

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

DAV2

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
After clearing the above trogon and reloading fresh after running kill disk, Avast found Win32:hupigon-onx [trj]  and win32:emold [drp] in the backup of the original load that it crashed on. Is there a way to adjust Avast to find these when the load is working? Also I noticed in the network shield of the new clean load that Avast shows clean logons to sites I have never heard of before. Is there any way to block this activity and limit network contact only to sites of my choosing? Thank you in advance.

DAV2

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
I searched the load for unsigned drivers and failed in deleting any of them. I then tried to upload them to online virus checker and failed. The files were not findable in the upload search window, even though I could clearly see them in my computer. Is this normal for Windows?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
What are these files ? I.e. name and location

DAV2

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 02:19:19 AM »
The only drivers on the new load are directly from Win 7 pro update by MS. No unsigned drivers were loaded. See attached. The signed drivers are in the directory, but the unsigned are not in the directory.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
Corrupted Data Recovery -- Filename - aeadiext.dll.

They appear to be related to Andrea-Electronics-Corporation file recovery programme

Could you copy and paste the full file location as opposed to a screen shot please

DAV2

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
I would if I could. That is the only thing Win 7 pro gives. It says they are unsigned and reside in c:\windows\system32, but the only files there are the signed drivers. The files Win 7 pro finds with "sigverif" are not in that directory even though Win pro 7 says that they are there.  My concern is more in that should unsigned drivers be coming from Win pro 7 MS update site in the first place?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
That is intriguing, I have a few unsigned drivers on my system - but I do not think any came from MS

Do you have - or have you used that file recpvery programme ?

DAV2

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 03:36:44 AM »
No I am not familiar with recpvery. I was also wondering if multiple hardiskvolumeshadowcopy4,    5,    6,   7,  8,   9,   10,   and   11 were normal.  They are all being reported as corrupt. Is this normal for Win pro 7?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:38:24 AM by DAV2 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
No that is not normal,  what are your current problems ?