Author Topic: What do I click on to get rid of the viruses (NOOB ALERT!!)  (Read 2450 times)

ulrichburke

What do I click on to get rid of the viruses (NOOB ALERT!!)
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
Dear Anyone.

Yup, read the help screens and the literature that comes with Avast Free, can't find an answer to this seemingly simple question. 

You've scanned your system with Avast Free. It's come up saying 'You've got XX viruses on your computer'.

What do you do then? I can't find a button labelled 'Click Here to disinfect system' or anything similar. It's obviously managed to get rid of some viruses at some point because I've looked in the vault and there's a few sitting there, but they're months old and I can't see anything to click on to permanently destroy them - do they just sit there as disasters waiting to happen (I believe the only good virus is a destroyed virus - I've had 'immobilized' viruses go rabid on me in the past with other virus control systems.)

Basically, what do you click on to make Avast destroy the viruses it's found? I don't think it's automatic because it's still telling me it's got all the viruses it found when I did my scan, like it's asking me what I want it to do with them. And I don't know what to do to tell it to destroy them. What do I click on?

If it's dead obvious to everyone else, I'm sorry. I'm not good with software unless it's really, REALLY simple or clearly explained. I've been through the HELP screens and can't find anything relevant. Please could you just tell me what to do next?

Yours hopefully

ulrichburke

SafeSurf

Re: What do I click on to get rid of the viruses (NOOB ALERT!!)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »
Hi ulrichburke and welcome to the forum.  Can you tell me a little about your system?  What is your OS, (32 or 64-bit)?  What other security software do you have on your machine - both currently and previously including firewall?

What version of Avast Free do you have?  5.0.594 is the latest version.  What this a new/fresh install or an upgrade from an older one?

What kind of scan did you do that put the viruses in your Virus Chest?  That is where they are now...correct?  Do NOT delete them...keep them there.

SafeSurf

Re: What do I click on to get rid of the viruses (NOOB ALERT!!)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
Read your last post in another thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28943.msg236777#msg236777

So you have XP SP (2 or 3)?
What is your firewall?
This was an uninstall/install of Avast...correct after doing a LOT of changes to your PC.
Are you up to date with your MS Updates?

Now you can answer my previous questions.