Author Topic: Sandbox: PDF won't open in Firefox (but will in Google Chrome)  (Read 5492 times)

jjb2012

Sandbox: PDF won't open in Firefox (but will in Google Chrome)
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »
Google Chrome has its own built-in PDF viewer so I suppose that is why it works?

But when I open Firefox in Sandbox Mode, it will not open PDFs in the browser or out. I get an "Error Opening..." message saying that it can't locate a temp file.

I read the Help and ran Adobe Acrobat "virtualized" in the sandbox but to no avail. (My other PDF viewer doesn't work either).

Firefox problem? Or Sandbox?

onepk

Re: Sandbox: PDF won't open in Firefox (but will in Google Chrome)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
This problem from way back in January doesn't appear to have ever received any comments/replies.  I still have the same problem that I cannot load PDF files when in Sandbox mode, but they download fine if browser is out of Sandbox - (AIS 6.0.1203, Firefox 5.0).   Is no one else seeing this effect or is there already a well-known workaround that I've missed?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
Whilst I don't use the sandbox and I have always felt that pdfs should be downloaded and viewed off-line. I will try and get some input from one of the avast team.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onepk

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
DavidR, thanks.  It only happens when the page in the link goes to an inline PDF as it were (opens automatically in the page or in a new tab) - there's no problem if you actually get the option to download the PDF file itself.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
That's why I have always downloaded a pdf file as I don't want it opening in the browser as it is possible to craft the URL to do more than just open the pdf. Whilst this should be isolated in the sandbox, I have never felt comfortable opening pdfs directly in the browser.

By downloading them first, avast should scan them then or at the very least before opening it and I know when clicking the pdf on my hdd that it is going to be opened directly by my pdf reader.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
Hello,

I have checked it here in avast! and I see no problems with FF pdf plugins.

Please, in what FF version are you opening that pdf? Also, does this happen for all pdf or just on certain sites? Have you changed something in the sandbox settins, can you delete browser data in sandbox settings and then try it again(sandbox | expert settings | web browser | delete contents).

thank you very much,
Michal

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
And for me they will not open in either Chrome or IE 9. Have already reported this to pk via email.

onepk

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
Hello,

I have checked it here in avast! and I see no problems with FF pdf plugins.

Please, in what FF version are you opening that pdf? Also, does this happen for all pdf or just on certain sites? Have you changed something in the sandbox settins, can you delete browser data in sandbox settings and then try it again(sandbox | expert settings | web browser | delete contents).

thank you very much,
Michal

Michal, I'm using FF 5.0 and have cleared sandbox and not changed any settings. When a webpage contains a link to a PDF file (eg to view a brochure), a new tab is opened and a progress bar displayed, but then nothing - it just sits there.  Happens on all sites.

Thanks

gdiloren

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »
Same problem here. Had to copy/paste in sandboxed Adobe Acrobat Reader the URL to bypass the problem. >:(