Author Topic: win 32:amvo & related problems  (Read 4136 times)

kuitara

win 32:amvo & related problems
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
hi folks,
i recently had an avast alert (win 32 amvo [troj]) on my secondary computer. Right now, I'm following a bunch of steps from forums and basically my avast scan in safe mode is taking forever. It's been 6+ hours! 

My computer is XP service pack 3 and problems started with my flash drive (I think it has/had autorun.inf  argh!). I started reading in forums to what to do. I let avast run & followed the program and put infected items in the chest. Then, I deleted them from the chest. I downloaded ccleaner and ran that, then deleted all items from my recycle bin.  I ran a partial scan of my temporary files and other parts of my C drive and I still had a few alerts. And followed the same steps as above.  To be more through, I disabled system restore. Restarted the computer in safe mode and planned on running avast again in safe mode.  I don't know if I made it all worse (probably did because I'm not 100% sure of what to do & rely on forums). So, now here's the biggest problem I'm facing, system scan in safe mode has taken 6+ hours and only at 33%. I stopped the scan and found that there were 4 errors, all the same. Some files couldn't be read. I restarted the scan again and over 30 mins it is still at 0%. I haven't been using the computer and it is not connected to the internet. I have ccleaner, spybot and avast (and windows firewall) but no other programs.

I took the flash drive to my work administrator and he deleted the autorun.inf from the flash drive and reformatted it after pulling off all my documents. I plan on scanning it again on the same computer later but I don't dare plug it into my non-infected computer!

So, I'm stuck.  I wanted to solve this tonight but it doesn't look like that will happen. Can you point me in the right place? I'm often not sure of what to follow since some posts in forums are between a year or so older up to the past few months. Is it normal for safe mode scans to lag around for hours? I'm not even sure if my computer itself was/is infected.

thanks so much in advance! gotta sleep....

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: win 32:amvo & related problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
Hi kuitara,

For amvo removal through a specific VSB script with instructions go to this site:
http://www.en.mygeekside.com/?p=18

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

kuitara

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:19:28 AM »
thanks so much!!!!!!  :D that solved it, i hope.

is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again? is there a way to install avast on a flashdrive so that it scans the drive when i put the USB onto a shared computer?

also, should i be running additional prevention programs?

thanks a lots.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »
install this update on your windows xp sp3 : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=96ca61f6-8b16-4157-9635-8cfc0bbf4c35

more posts will follow(may be) from my forum friends.

nmb