Other > General Topics

[Help]Svchost.exe hogging 50% of CPU

(1/7) > >>

Silk0:
Hey.

1st of all, i wanna say a big THANKS to all Team of AVAST Software and persons who help for make such a excellent program. I'm already user since 2008.

Ok... Now the problem:
For some reason, yesterday, my CPU started to go to 50% for some reason... I've read some articles about it but none of the solutions worked.
The problem beyond this is a Svchost.exe spending 50% continuously. I don't know for what reason or the process/program beyond this.
Gonna leave a list of the services running with the svchost.exe:
Appinfo
BITS
Browser
EapHost
gpsvc
IKEEXT
iphlpsvc
Lanman Server
ProfSvc
RasMan
Schedule
SENS
ShellHWDetection
Themes
Winmgmt
wuauserv

I used the Process Explorer to check this, by the way.
And already turned mad because this is still "eating" half of my CPU!

Anyways... If you can help me fix this problem, i'll be grateful!

Ah... and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks,
Silk0

CrazyAaron84:
next time you see svchost.exe taking up that much cpu, try right clicking on it and selecting "go to services" and let us know what services are highlighted

it may be a matter of turning off services you dont need, but id rather have you check beforehand to be safe and not turn off any essential services windows would need

DavidR:
The problem is the nature of Svchost as it is a Service Host and is used by other applications, so for the most part it isn't actually svchost that is using the CPU but something using it. The windows update is a major hog of svchost as that is what it uses to connect to get your updates.

Some report that if they switch from the newer Microsoft Update back to Windows Update, plus manually using Office Update, the issue goes away. To flip back to WU from MU, just follow the instructions in KB 901037. Just remember, if you do this, you'll have to manually go to Office Update to get patches on Patch Tuesday.
I'll update Patch Watch readers in future editions with any new information on this very vexing issue.

USEFUL - Find out what is using the SVCHOST Service.
Windows Start, Run, type (or copy and paste) "cmd.exe /k tasklist /svc > c:\tasklist.txt" without the quotes - this opens a command window and runs the tasklist for services, the > c:\tasklist.txt outputs the results to the file and location given:

--- Quote ---svchost.exe                 1020 DcomLaunch, TermService                     
svchost.exe                 1080 RpcSs                                       
svchost.exe                 1108 AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, dmserver,         
                                 EventSystem, helpsvc, HidServ, Netman, Nla, 
                                 RasMan, Schedule, SENS, SharedAccess,       
                                 ShellHWDetection, TapiSrv, Themes, winmgmt, 
                                 wscsvc, wuauserv                             

--- End quote ---

So first having identified in task manager, which PID (Process Identifier) copy of svchost.exe is using the high CPU% and check that against the above data you get having run the analysis.

yongsua:
I can't accessed it...

DavidR:
You may have to run cmd.exe as an administrator in win7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version