Author Topic: Is Avast Free better than Microsoft Security Essentials?  (Read 26490 times)

cwr64

Is Avast Free better than Microsoft Security Essentials?
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
A recent publisher's post on CNET (or was it ZDNET?) touts the latest free Microsoft Security Essentials as being very good.   I'm running the current Avast Free on my 64bit Windows7 desktop.  Is Avast Free better than the current Microsoft product?  If so, in what ways is it better? 
Thanks in advance for the info...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is Avast Free better than Microsoft Security Essentials?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
Configurability: scheduling, options, features.
Detection rates (of some malwares families).
Update scheme (flexibility and reliability).
The best things in life are free.

cwr64

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
OK
I got burned earlier this year when Avast sent out a bad sig file.  I had to repair/recover 2 PC's and wasted some hours doing it.

JoeBlack40

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
OK
I got burned earlier this year when Avast sent out a bad sig file.  I had to repair/recover 2 PC's and wasted some hours doing it.
I presume this is a complaining...therefore..why are you asking which is better??It's a very odd and not really nice thing to ask on Avast's forum which is better.Make some tests and decide yourself.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
OK
I presume this is a complaining...therefore..why are you asking which is better??It's a very odd and not really nice thing to ask on Avast's forum which is better.Make some tests and decide yourself.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »
Try both (one at a time ;D) to see which is best for you & your computer.

I've tried MSE & several other av's, I kept coming back to avast!.

I've tried many firewalls, but always came back to ZoneAlarm.

I've tried a lot of browsers, Opera is the one for me.

I've finished my wandering ways! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
A general comment on the tone of some replies on this forum.

If a question is asked (like the one framed and posed here by 'cwr64'), it should be taken at face value. It is not really nice to presume what is not there.
If you have something to contribute, do so.
If you think he/she is trolling, don't take then bait.
If I may misquote Forrest Gump, "Fanboy is as fanboy does."

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:13:17 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

JoeBlack40

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
Ok,i'm not presuming.It is a real OP's complaint.So,you have always the options to seek help on the AV own forum...or to switch to another AV if you are totally disappointed.Not asking which is better.Should someone else decide for you what AV to use? What kind of value does this question have?
I'm not contributing,sorry,just telling my opinion.Unlike others who are contributing.............

Avast-"bad sig file".....bad Avast!!!Go with MSE!
Happy now?

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
He didn't say that, he simply pointed out an unfortunate incident that everyone knows did happen. He didn't suggest giving up on Avast! because of it. He is simply asking for opinions on why people think one or the other program is good.

I would say what I've said before. Both products do a good job of protecting you from malware infection. MSE is simpler (on the surface anyway, underneath it's more complex than it looks) to setup and configure and is well suited for those with limited computer expertise. Avast! has more features and therefore more configuration options. Both have excellent detection rates of known threats and both are regularly updated. In most tests I've seen, MSE currently does a little better at blocking new malware due to how it will check suspicious files with the latest definitions on the Microsoft servers (definitions that you may not have received yet through the updating process) and will also check with the latest submissions to things like the Smart Screen filter, the malicious software tool and the other malware fighting resources Microsoft provides. I expect Avast! to improve at blocking new threats by improving the behavior shield. There are two computers here, one running Avast! and the other MSE. So far, both have detected a few threats or unsafe web sites and nothing has gotten past either one. I personally feel that the combination of IE8 and MSE works very well on the Vista machine and Avast! with IE8 and the Comodo Firewall works well on the XP system.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
My opinion is that following the faulty database update release, which wasn't tested as per normal protocol, that the likelihood of it happening again with this company is vastly reduced.
I've never tested MSE; never felt the need to.
I have tried AVG and Avira in the past. Since running Avast it has stayed there, and Avast would be my choice over MSE, based purely on my experience with it, and the (usually very good) quality of the forum help.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
I'm not sure if this is universally helpful but in my forthcoming book "Security Advice for the Miserly" ;D, there are 3 categories of Free security software.

1. Free for home use only. Here avast! 5 is my clear favourite (it even scans SSL IMAP email!)

2. Free for all use. AFAIK there are only 2, PC Tools Security/Antivirus Free 7 and Comodo CIS 4.1

3. Free for Home or Home Office use. There's only MSE.  BTW, Installing MSE on XP will also install 'Microsoft Update'.

My opinion is that following the faulty database update release, which wasn't tested as per normal protocol, that the likelihood of it happening again with this company is vastly reduced.
I've never tested MSE; never felt the need to.
I have tried AVG and Avira in the past. Since running Avast it has stayed there, and Avast would be my choice over MSE, based purely on my experience with it, and the (usually very good) quality of the forum help.

I'm sure you really mean avastly reduced. ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:03:57 PM by Vladimyr »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

De Hollander

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
OK

In happens to a variety of AV company's, so this not something unique to Avast. If you search this forum, you will find the reason and explanation for that bad sig file.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
@JoBlack40
I did pick out your words and underline them and in hindsight that was probably a little unfair of me because
your post wasn't really the target of my "rant" (though it did annoy me enough to tip me over the edge).

The kind of thing that really gets up my nose is when someone posts a problem and the attitude/answer of another forum member is along the lines of, "Well, it can't be a problem with avast! It must be something else or something you're doing wrong.", as if any questioning or criticism of avast! is really questioning the replier's choice to use avast! It's just not necessary.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:58:24 PM by Vladimyr »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
Well I don't really feeling liking installing Microsoft updates after updating my harddisk memory consumption has always increased..