Author Topic: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)  (Read 187184 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
I want to know what one is better as I am using at the moment C.I.S. If I was to turn off real time scanning on C.I.S can I then use Avast for my real time scanning needs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:31:03 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

gdiloren

Re: Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
Answer is yes but who really needs 2 AV ( these big dinausors I run them only from time to time and a full scan takes hours). I recommend using AVAST and Comodo FW. Uninstall Comodo AV, it's poor on virus detection. ;D

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »
It is but the AV plus Defence + (plus) is better then good. It will have heuristic within the next month hmmmmm but I still have this nag that I should be running avast.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:38:07 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

solcroft

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
The antivirus component of CIS is HIGHLY unrecommended as of now, no matter what the Comodo fans may tell you. Defense+ is good if you can use it correctly, but the antivirus definitely isn't.

However, a much-hyped beta is going to be released soon (perhaps next week), so you might want to wait and see. Personally I'm taking the claims I hear about it with a grain of salt, but hopefully the antivirus will at least be brought up to a useable quality.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
The antivirus component of CIS is HIGHLY unrecommended as of now, no matter what the Comodo fans may tell you.
The antivirus is very very weak as far I know.
I do NOT recommend it either.
The best things in life are free.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
It is but as I said with the AV is Defence + so I don't know if that makes any difference or is that still a weak package to have?
P.S. I know it sounds like I am defending Comodo but I just want the best my my computer I don't care who it is to be honest. Thinking of firewalls what happened to Avast's?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:06:14 AM by patrice58 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 12:14:54 AM »
Defense + isn't the AV, but was also a part of the stand alone comodo firewall after a certain version. It is more of a HIPS function than an AV, so the proper comodo AV would be part of any Comodo Internet Security Suite.

So there really is no benefit in using the Internet Suite if you are not going to install the AV, just use the stand alone firewall which comes with defence +.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:27:27 AM »
I do understand (and know) that defence + is not part of the AV but it too can block viruses so can do many of the same things that a anti virus can do. which is why I said "It is but the AV plus Defence + (plus) is better then good." but after all the pro comodo talk I still miss avast...............(sob.) Two questions 1 where is the avast firewall? 2 When is avast going to come with heuristics which is a question of when avast 5 will be out I guess?

sded

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:27 AM »
Current Comodo AV performance is met with lots of skepticism-I never used it when I was using CIS.  How good will the new version of the CIS AV  be next week?  What will its performance characteristics be?  No one knows, and there seems to be no plan for any near term objective evaluation.  Comodo says their goal is for the AV will be one of the best by October 2009, and it is currently January, so ???.  CIS is, afterall, becoming a new beta.  Avast! is already one of the best AVs, with a proven record of performance. If you want to be a beta? tester of the new CIS product, which also apparently integrates a lot of other features into CIS, can afford to recover from the problems, and don't really depend on the AV performance, there seem to be many Comodo fans willing to do that.  Using tools like Acronis True Image and being very careful of your HIPS setup can facilitate this.  If you want the best protection for your computer in the near term, and fewest potential issues, continuing using the Comodo Firewall and D+, but using Avast! (or other proven AV) as your AV is the recommendation.  BTW, Comodo seems to ignore the fact that the competition is also making great strides, so that by October the anti-malware playing field should be quite different.  There are new tools like Prevx Edge (and others) that seem to have lots of potential.  And, of course, Avast 5 should be a contemporary.  But "heuristics" can mean lots of different things depending on the vendor, like "cloud processing" and "behavior monitoring", and other popular phrases, so I am still looking to see what develops.  And plan to try out the "best of breed" rather than using any suite.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:29:50 AM by sded »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
You make many good points and saying that I will uninstall the AV part of comodo and install Avast which is a nice thing about comodo you can add and take away bits (or the whole of course) of the suite by just restarting your computer. (What made you use Online Armor and not carry on with Comodo?) I don't use beta software anyhow so I won't be using it not until the other testers iron out the bugs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:28:06 AM by patrice58 »

sded

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:53:23 AM »
Actually I was using CFP on my main computer for about a year, and began beta testing OA for Vista on my backup mobile computer. I preferred it to Comodo there because of some features that make it very convenient to monitor and control public networks.  I continued to use CFP on my main computer, though.  Both are fine firewall/HIPS programs, but Comodo seemed to have abandoned fixing the issues there (and there are many for power users) to add a little bit of everything to their product line as well as throwing in the toolbar and AV.  The CIS transition caused some problems for my configuration, so I removed it (mostly, with some difficulty) from my main computer until the promised real stand-alone version appeared.  There was significant extra baggage when you simply didn't activate the AV and the toolbar.  And I have used Avast! on all my computers (currently 5) for several years, so continuing to do that was a no-brainer.  When Comodo decided to not do a real stand-alone, in pursuit of the (extended) suite, and OA actually added more beneficial features for me, I switched the main computer to OA also.  Melih decided to take issue with my sometimes critical comments on the company and the product, so I stopped being a moderator and deleted  my account, no longer a Comodo user.  "Best of Breed" is not popular there.  :) 

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:31:36 AM »
Lol eek! There is a stand alone version but as you say it's not really stand alone. Hmmmmmmmm interesting that Melih himself would a have problem with you (what did you say?) In saying that most of the forum seem to worship comodo and everything that comes from there, it's quite funny sometimes to watch. (I have the same username here and there.) I'll post the same question there and see what replies I will get. I will be back to let you all know.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:57:52 AM by patrice58 »

sded

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:04:04 AM »
Just don't drink the kool aid!  ;)  Actually, there are a number of users there who also prefer Avast!, so you may get some other interesting views by asking.

darth

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 03:04:22 AM »
Yeah Sded, long time user of Comodo FW, in fact since V2.3.  Currently using V2.4.  Wouldn't take a chance on Comodo's CAV/CIS.  Avast has been my choice for AV for sometime.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 03:10:54 AM »
A Bill O'Reilly viewer I see................? I have asked the question lets see what happens by the way I was a long time user of avast but since I bought a new computer, I started to look around for a alternate AV not because I did not like avast but a change is good. I have tried Antivir and Comodo I did not like antivir as you don't really know if it is doing anything I guess the same goes for comodo's effort as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:19:16 AM by patrice58 »