Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1. Can't access the internet with Avast 5.1.889 web shield enabled  (Read 10484 times)

street_lethal

No problem, i'm just glad it's solved, I wanted to put my fist through my monitor at one point when I was uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and so on, lol. By the way two thumbs up for Avast 6...I like it.

street_lethal

It seems that PC Tools firewall was the culprit. Doesn't surprise me really, I've had other problems in the past with programs conlicting with it.

I have now uninstalled PC Tools and upgraded Avast! to version 6.01000 and everything is now working like a dream  :) I will stick with Windows Firewall for the time being while I ponder other options.

Thanks very much street_lethal and craigb, much appreciated  ;)

Just wanted to give you a heads up, i'm trying Privatefirewall 7.0 after dumping PC Tools Firewall 7. So far so good I disabled the process monitor in it, I just want a simple light firewall that monitors outgoing traffic with decent logging. Doesn't seem to conflict with anything....so far. I created an image before I installed it to be on the safe side.

Edit: Tried privatefirewall for a few hours, it's a bit buggy. At one point I couldn't access anything in the menu, I couldn't navigate and click on the different tabs, weird. That's gone from my system now. Back to the Windows firewall and I think i'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:38:51 PM by street_lethal »

joburg

Hi street_lethal, regarding yr buggy ref to Privatefirewall, I had the identical issue.

Due to very helpful support from them we resolved it, the problem is the current version of Avast. I went so far as uninstalling quite a few progs and changes I made to my system (W7 Pro 64-bit) the past month but all to no avail, PF remained "buggy".
Eventually uninstalling most of my security progs and slowly rebuilding all it surfaced that Avast v6.0.1000 the cause. I've now reverted to Avast v5.1.864 and will make contact with Avast regarding this.

Avast is a super product, have been using it many many years, and I'll stay with it but I will not downgrade to any other firewall, PF doing an excellent job and very user friendly.

joburg

I received a reply from Avast Support from a support ticket I generated:

"generally it is not recommended to use more than two antiviruses in one computer. I recommend you to use only one and uninstall the other.
It causes such conflicts quite often."

Anybody an idea how Privatefirewall qualifies as antivirus?

Vic Julius

Anybody an idea how Privatefirewall qualifies as antivirus?

It simply doesn't.
It's a FW+HIPS.
Certainly not an AV. Not in any shape or form.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Look's like support bungled that one  ;D     Privatefirewall released a new version on the third that fixed a few issues so try again

Privatefirewall 7.0 (supports Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008/R2 - 32/64 bit. XP and Server 2003 - 32 bit) - VERSION 7.0.23.4, posted 3/3/2011 -

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.23.4, posted 3/3/2011
   - Fixed defect in which default rules were not properly implemented in 23.3 build.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:03:57 PM by craigb »

joburg

Vic Julius - my logic too but...

Thanks craigb but I'm running the new v7.0.23.4, I'm in contact with Privacyware and we've tried all we can since Avast v6.01000 broke Privatefirewall.
I'll just skip the latest Avast version and stay with v5.1.889 and hope that Avast will look into this matter.

I'll start a new thread because other Privatefirewall users will not pick up because this thread's title not correct because I sort of hijacked it and now I'm OT.