Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1. Can't access the internet with Avast 5.1.889 web shield enabled  (Read 10451 times)

street_lethal

Updated my Windows 7 Pro x64 system up to SP1, everything installed fine. When the system rebooted I could not access the internet. I disabled Avast free(web shield) on the Windows 7 box and had no issues accessing the internet. Any ideas?

edit: I rebooted the system again and I cannot connect to the internet unless I disable the web shield. Def 110222-1. Other computers running XP with Avast free with the same defs on my network don't have an issue. Don't know if it's a problem with Avast and Windows 7 SP1 or just an issue with 110222-1 on Windows 7. If I disable the web shield and enable it again after I reboot the system I can connect to the internet.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:53:53 AM by street_lethal »

YoKenny

No problem on my Windows 7 Pro system or I would be upset.

taffy44

I have the exact same problem since downloading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7(Home Premium, 64 bit)

Everytime I restart my pc I am uable to open either Firefox or Internet Explorer. The avast icon in the system tray does not rotate at all. I right click on the avast icon and disable shields and then immediately re-enable shields and everything works fine (both Firefox and IE8 open).

I have to go through this procedure everytime I reboot the computer  >:(

P.S I don't know if it has any relevance, but I disabled Avast during the downloading and installation of Windows 7 SP1.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:00:06 PM by taffy44 »

street_lethal

I have the exact same problem since downloading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7(Home Premium, 64 bit)

Everytime I restart my pc I am uable to open either Firefox or Internet Explorer. The avast icon in the system tray does not rotate at all. I right click on the avast icon and disable shields and then immediately re-enable shields and everything works fine (both Firefox and IE8 open).

I have to go through this procedure everytime I reboot the computer  >:(

P.S I don't know if it has any relevance, but I disabled Avast during the downloaded and installation of Windows 7 SP1.

I didn't disable Avast during the installation of SP1 and I still have the issue. It's doing the same thing today, it also blocks Live Mail from connecting to my ISP. I'm either going to restore an image and go back to pre SP1 and wait for Avast to fix it which I don't really feel like doing, I would have to install SP1 again. Use my other system and wait for Avast to fix it, or dump Avast. Seems like uninstalling and reinstalling Avast doesn't fix it. I could try the Avast 6 RC on my main box and see if that works. Would be nice if somebody from the team here would address it.

sded

Were you previously using an AV or suite that could have left some residue when uninstalled?  There are dedicated uninstallers referenced at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ for most products.  The final version 6 is due shortly so you can try uninstalling your current version using the avast! uninstaller at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and try that.  I upgraded to SP1 yesterday on W7x64 and didn't have a problem with the current v6 beta.

street_lethal

Were you previously using an AV or suite that could have left some residue when uninstalled?  There are dedicated uninstallers referenced at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ for most products.  The final version 6 is due shortly so you can try uninstalling your current version using the avast! uninstaller at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and try that.  I upgraded to SP1 yesterday on W7x64 and didn't have a problem with the current v6 beta.

No. I have been using Avast on this machine since I did a clean install of Windows 7 back in March 2010. It's the only AV that's been on this system. I really don't want to image back to pre SP1, it took a half hour to install. I also don't feel like dumping Avast since i've been using it for 5 years and like it.  I am thinking of using the beta, or just waiting it out to see if it's fixed or wait for the official v6 release.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
What firewall are you guys using?

taffy44

I'm beginning to wonder if it has nothing to do with installing SP1 - having read all the other recent threads about problems accessing the internet.

I think I might take sded's advice and upgrade to version 6 beta, as i notice from YoKenny's system specs that he is on version 6 also, and he states that he is not having problems.

Cheers

P.S In reply to craigb...I'm using PC Tools' firewall.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
taffy44 are all instances of avast allowed in the firewall, you could also try deleting avast from the firewall and reboot causing pctools to re ask if you want to allow avast, if this doesn't work give the new avast 6rc a go, i would suggest a clean install rather than upgrading.

jmaes12345

I had internet probs, but only after an update from avast. I fixed them by running the uninstaller (through the Windows Uninstall a Program interface) and selecting "Repair". Works just fine now.

street_lethal

Alright, I updated to Avast 6 RC 6.0.992 and I am having no issues so far. I ran the aswclear tool in safe mode after I uninstalled Avast 5 just to make sure I got everything.

I'm also running PC Tools firewall v7 but that wasn't the issue from what I can tell.

edit: it appears PC Tools firewall v7 is also causing issues separate from the other issues I had. If I disabled the web shield in Avast 5 I could access the internet. When I went to download the latest Avast 6 RC from this link:

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.992/setup_av_free.exe

The download would freeze. I tried several times and it would freeze every single time. I then disabled PC Tools firewall v7 and I was able to complete the download. I just duplicated this again after I installed Avast 6 which is working correctly. I tried downloading that file again with PC Tools enabled and it froze. Disabled it and it completed. Now I have to find a good another decent firewall that doesn't have issues with SP1. Maybe i'll reinstall PC Tools to see if it fixes itself, I doubt it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:03:33 PM by street_lethal »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I know that pctools has a popup that says avast wants to act as a local proxy do you want to allow so maybe this proxy part got messed up  with the sp1 update

street_lethal

Yeah you know what? I think PC Tools firewall v7 is not working right with SP1. I just uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it and I was having issues again. Now it's gone from my system. I enabled the Windows firewall and will leave that for now. I'm reaching the point that i'm losing my patience with uninstalling and reinstalling stuff. I like to keep a clean system. I could image back to pre SP1 and take the easy way out but I look at it this way, I have to upgrade to SP1 eventually might as well get this garbage out of the way now.

Oh and Avast does act as a local proxy(web shield) so I selected yes when PC Tools popped that up.

taffy44

It seems that PC Tools firewall was the culprit. Doesn't surprise me really, I've had other problems in the past with programs conlicting with it.

I have now uninstalled PC Tools and upgraded Avast! to version 6.01000 and everything is now working like a dream  :) I will stick with Windows Firewall for the time being while I ponder other options.

Thanks very much street_lethal and craigb, much appreciated  ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Your welcome, i was only trialing pctools the other day and thought it was quite good but it obviously didnt like the sp1 update so thats good to know anyway, thankyou :)