Author Topic: Reproducable Vista BSOD and aswsp.sys  (Read 9242 times)

DavidCo

Re: Reproducable Vista BSOD and aswsp.sys
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
craigb
I agree with you
However I uploaded a memdump on Aug 19th
I also uninstalled Avast AV pro (still almost a year to go)

I'll post more details on my OP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
It looks like this thread is dead now, but I wanted to follow-up to say that my BSODs went away completely when I uninstalled Avast! and started using a different anti-virus.  It's been six weeks now since I've switched and the BSODs are gone.  I realize some problems are difficult to solve, and I hold no grudge against Avast!  I believe it to be a fine product, and this isn't a problem that everyone has.  But if you are reading this and you do have this problem, you might consider switching anti-virus programs to see if it goes away. Maybe a fix will come in the future.

Well those reading this on this date with this problem will have the advantage of being able to try the latest beta 6.0.1270, which has fixed for the aswSp.sys bsod. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83583.0 - Stability improvements in aswSP.sys.

So for those that did provide the dump files they contributed to getting a fix and didn't just jump ship.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DavidCo

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »
If my BSODs were identified & a fix included in this release, beta or otherwise I'd be back like a shot :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »
Then you know what to do, try it. How would you ever know if it did or not without trying it, I can't try it for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
If my BSODs were identified & a fix included in this release, beta or otherwise I'd be back like a shot :'(

Everything has been fixed. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DavidCo

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »
Asyn
That is a very, very, odd thing to say

Avast has the, perhaps, only bug free software in the world ;D

On the other hand, I'm uncomfortable without Avast.
 ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
That is a very, very, odd thing to say

Yep, I know and I was just joking. ;)
Nevertheless, you should try the beta, as suggested by Dave...!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DavidCo

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
I will, probably when it is released.

It's ok to say just try it and almost everyone says this, but it's a pain in the neck if you end up with data corruption due to BSOD's
Yes! I do have a network back up drive for data

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
1. I will, probably when it is released.

2. It's ok to say just try it and almost everyone says this, but it's a pain in the neck if you end up with data corruption due to BSOD's

1. Do as you like.
2. Well, till now there were no reports of BSODs.

deserthues

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 05:42:25 AM »
It looks like this thread is dead now, but I wanted to follow-up to say that my BSODs went away completely when I uninstalled Avast! and started using a different anti-virus.  It's been six weeks now since I've switched and the BSODs are gone.  I realize some problems are difficult to solve, and I hold no grudge against Avast!  I believe it to be a fine product, and this isn't a problem that everyone has.  But if you are reading this and you do have this problem, you might consider switching anti-virus programs to see if it goes away. Maybe a fix will come in the future.
It would be better to forward your dumps to the avast ftp so that they can solve the problem and you will be able to keep using avast, just saying that you changed av's to fix your problem helps no one any everyone should be willing to help avast improve where they can.

Actually, it should help a lot of people.  A few people have been asked to submit their dumps for this aswsp.sys BSOD problem in this forum, but so far no solution has been posted by the techs.  The threads all seem to dead-end like this one.  I don't really feel like going to the trouble of uploading dumps when no one else has been helped.  If you read the whole thread, you'll see that the originator has noticed the same thing, and he hasn't been helped yet either. It's not a criticism, but a fair analysis of the situation.  I will check back from time-to-time to see if the problem has been worked out.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 06:26:46 AM »
It would be better to forward your dumps to the avast ftp so that they can solve the problem and you will be able to keep using avast, just saying that you changed av's to fix your problem helps no one any everyone should be willing to help avast improve where they can.

Actually, it should help a lot of people.  A few people have been asked to submit their dumps for this aswsp.sys BSOD problem in this forum, but so far no solution has been posted by the techs.  The threads all seem to dead-end like this one.  I don't really feel like going to the trouble of uploading dumps when no one else has been helped.  If you read the whole thread, you'll see that the originator has noticed the same thing, and he hasn't been helped yet either. It's not a criticism, but a fair analysis of the situation.  I will check back from time-to-time to see if the problem has been worked out.
See reply 16 by DavidR