Author Topic: Unidentified drives  (Read 2180 times)

tacgnnol

Unidentified drives
« on: March 25, 2007, 07:02:52 AM »
I have been using Avast home 4.7-942 for a while now.  Suddenly one day the Virus Recovery Database was using up a lot of my resources while I was trying to play a game, so I closed it.  Ever since then I get an error message when I boot my computer (Before windows loads) "Secondary Hard Drive 1 not found, Secondary Hard drive 2 not found" and none of my CD drives show up in my computer.  I went to my BIOS settings and all my CD drives show up as "Unknown device".  There was no new hardware or software installed around the time this started happening.  Turning the computer off, unplugging the drives, turning it on, then off and reinstalling the drives resulted in one of the two drives working again, but it only lasted for that one boot.  I doubt avast could cause a problem like this but it's the only connection I can make at the time.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Unidentified drives
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
Erm, thats highly unlikely. VRDB usually takes around 20MB at most. Are you sure you haven't mixed up avast! VRDB with Windows System Restore?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unidentified drives
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »
VRDB It stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int
So it's not a bakcup utility, but a restore feature of avast. Shouldn't use resources as it runs when screensaver is running or the computer is idle.

VRDB usually takes around 20MB at most.
Well, depends on how many executables do you have... I would say 40Mb is a good number for the 'maximum'.
The best things in life are free.