Author Topic: avast 5 license key  (Read 482016 times)

Offline HPY

• hpy
Re: avast 5 license key
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
It preforms an effective uninstall of 4.8 before completing the 5.0 instalation (but retaind the license information).

Size will grow as VPS updates are done and log files updates, etc. but it sounds about right.

Thanks, but where are the log files on 5.0?
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

CharleyO

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

To view scan logs :

Start avast  >  on the left of the GUI, click on Scan Computer  >  on the sub-menu, click on Scan Logs  >  on the right, click on the appropriate log name  >  at the bottom right, click on View results.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:31:56 PM by CharleyO »

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »

To view scan logs :

Start avast  >  on the left of the GUI, click on Scan Computer  >  on the sub-menu, click on Scan Logs  >  on the right, click on the appropriate log name  >  at the bottom right, click on View results.

Thanks CharlyO, but I meant in the system files on my PC under Programs -> Allwill -> Avast5. The reason I want to inspect the log file (or the Report file) is beacuse in 4.8 I had a problem as DavidR knows with an asw. file that kept growing for no reason. I would then delete it periodically. No big deal but I would like to know how to do the same in .5
Where is it on Avast5?
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
Hi HPY,

Do you mean the actual, .log files?

If so, they are located here:

XP              -->C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5
Vista/Seven -->C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\

ProgramData is a hidden folder...

-Scott-

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Hi HPY,

Do you mean the actual, .log files?

If so, they are located here:

XP              -->C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5
Vista/Seven -->C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\

ProgramData is a hidden folder...

-Scott-

Thanks. I assume that hidden files or program files cannot be opened. In 4.8 the aswr1 file that bloated was a simple .txt file that I could remove whenever necessary: Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ\
Where is its .5 equivalent?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »
I have nothing in the \integ folder, but I do seem to have 'aswAr1.log' in the log folder...is that what you were referring to?

...\Alwil Software\Avast 5\log

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
I have nothing in the \integ folder, but I do seem to have 'aswAr1.log' in the log folder...is that what you were referring to?

...\Alwil Software\Avast 5\log

Thanks.

My Vista is in German, and yes "aswAr1.log" is what I wam looking for. But I cannot see a Log file in Programme (German)\Alwil Software\Avast 5\

Opening Avast5 I get the option of opening flash, 1033, defs, Setup. That's all. I opened them and found no Log file to open.

Or are you looking in Documentation and Settings - which doesn't seem to exist in the German Vista unless "Benutzer" means All Users, and Avast isn't there either!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »
Ok, I see what you are doing now...You are still in the wrong folder...

First, you need to enable hidden files and folders: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial130.html

Then you need to look for C:\ProgramData   (from Bing translator it may be Programmdaten?)

then Alwil Software....etc.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
Ok, I see what you are doing now...You are still in the wrong folder...

First, you need to enable hidden files and folders: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial130.html

Then you need to look for C:\ProgramData   (from Bing translator it may be Programmdaten?)

then Alwil Software....etc.

Thanks very much, Scott.

I followed the www.bleepingcomputer.com tutorial and it revealed hidden files. It did the trick with "Show hidden files and folders" only (but the system warned me off unchecking the others.) Now I am with you, amnd I have the Log file which is under Programdata as in English. It looks like all the old 4.8 stuff was shunted off into Programdata which I hadn't been able to see!

My aswAr file is up to its old tricks again, it has added an aswAr1 which is 20842 KB - I bet yours isn't!

So now i know what to do if the system starts building up huge .txt files. Does anyone else get this, or is it something weird in my system?

Thanks again (now my email server doesn't recognise me but I doubt if that is related?)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
As you can see from my image above, I do have that file, the image shows it at 17MB, but it was at 18, so I don't know whether it will increase any...
If I open it, I see that it is the log from a rootkit scan from two days ago:
avast! Antirootkit, version 1.0 [Quick]
Scan started: Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:48:46 PM

I'll keep an eye on it in anycase...

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
As you can see from my image above, I do have that file, the image shows it at 17MB, but it was at 18, so I don't know whether it will increase any...
If I open it, I see that it is the log from a rootkit scan from two days ago:
avast! Antirootkit, version 1.0 [Quick]
Scan started: Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:48:46 PM

I'll keep an eye on it in anycase...

I just deleted that log file and note that the ProgramData file has shrunk from 26MB to 4.6MB!!

Oh and thanks for the Bing translate tip - I may well need it to monitor/self-help in my Gerrman Vista - Sony NS11 series laptop - all in German (still, having been a technical translator in various fields you'd think I could deal with it, but I am sure they've changed the layout fromthe English version).

spg SCOTT

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
No problem :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
Thanks. I assume that hidden files or program files cannot be opened. In 4.8 the aswr1 file that bloated was a simple .txt file that I could remove whenever necessary: Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ\

No hidden files are just that hidden, so aren't normally found on searches or using windows explorer. If you have done as I have and got rid of the hidden files and folders in the explorer options, then you can see them and subsequently open them, etc.

The integ folder in 4.8 was related to the VRBD which isn't in 5.0 so I don't know why that folder (which is empty in mine) is in the 5.0 installation.

What I'm finding is that after VPS updates the old VPS Folders weren't pruned (XP location, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs), which is effectively a duplication at over 50MB a day. Now it seems that they are being cleared out but now it appears to be working, with the current VPS and the last VPS. So that is something to monitor as even with self-defence disabled you can't delete old folders as they are in use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »

No hidden files are just that hidden, so aren't normally found on searches or using windows explorer. If you have done as I have and got rid of the hidden files and folders in the explorer options, then you can see them and subsequently open them, etc.

The integ folder in 4.8 was related to the VRBD which isn't in 5.0 so I don't know why that folder (which is empty in mine) is in the 5.0 installation.

What I'm finding is that after VPS updates the old VPS Folders weren't pruned (XP location, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs), which is effectively a duplication at over 50MB a day. Now it seems that they are being cleared out but now it appears to be working, with the current VPS and the last VPS. So that is something to monitor as even with self-defence disabled you can't delete old folders as they are in use.

I displayed my hidden files as advised by Scott. Not sure what you mean by "got rid of the hidden files and folders in the explorer options" - why would I do that? My Vista came with hidden files hidden. It was just that our old friend "aswAr1" is now under Programdata in 5.0 whereas it was under Programs in 4.8, so Scott put me straight on it.

Interesting that "VPS updates the old VPS Folders weren't pruned". That is something for Allwil to monitor because there is nothing we can do about it. Thanks David.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
By 'Getting rid of.... etc.' I meant the stupid windows option to hide certain files and folders (which you did) not the files and folders themselves.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security