Author Topic: firewall wont turn on  (Read 19413 times)

lennyworthington

firewall wont turn on
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:33:09 AM »
I have just purchased avast premier but the firewall wont turn on please help

lennyworthington

Re: firewall wont turn on
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:43:20 AM »
Get a message ATTENTION firewall is of when I click Turn on I get a message unable to start firewall  but no reason why.
Another box tells me the following could not be started but no reason why or how to solve Please help

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:14:54 AM »
Have you rebooted.
Also you could try a "Repair"
Control Panel/ Programs and Features/Choose Avast to Change; scroll down to Repair and click.
Reboot after process finishes Repair function.
Hope that helps.
Let us know if all is good. :)

caschd

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
I did the repair and everything is now fine.  I just wish the help desk knew to do this.  After waiting 25 minutes to talk to a tech person, all he could tell me was that I needed a kernel driver update.  I knew I had just had an update to Avast done so I did not believe that a kernel driver update was needed.  Thanks for the advice.  It was spot on  :D

lennyworthington

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:34 AM »
Thanks smidthouse.But this did not work.cashd was lucky I have now waited for tech help for more than a day.I am starting to think i have wasted my money.If no reply soon I will ask for a rebate from paypal.I am worried because windows are stopping updates tomorrow
I ran a boot scan this morning but three viruses from mobogeni are still there.What am I paying for.??

lennyworthington

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »
Tech help finally emailed me with the same solution as smidthouse.Tried it.DID NOT WORK.
As a result my windows firewall is now off.And I cant get it back on.I thought I would be safe with avast.
But like everything else,now they have my money they dont want to know.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Mobogenie is a PUP so it would be worth turning that on or I could remove it for you

Reference the firewall have you tried a clean install ?  Also did you remove your old AV/Firewall

lennyworthington

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 06:06:33 AM »
To Essexboy

Could you help me please
No I did not turn the Av firewall off I didnt know you had too,or how to.
I thought that all this would be done automatically
I'm not too well up on these things.As you can see.Any help would be appreciated

Could you do a remote assistance for me please

lennyworthington

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
I was advised by a tech "expert"to uninstall in safe mode an gave me the details below.

Hello,
Thank you for contacting AVAST Software company with your concerns.

Try to reinstall your avast! using avast! uninstall utility.

Download avast! uninstall utility (aswclear.exe) located on this page:
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

and follow these instructions:

1. Download aswClear.exe on to your desktop
2. Start Windows in Safe Mode
how to boot in safe mode:

Win XP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true).
Win Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-vista
Win 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

- Start avast! program
- Click on the right side on SETTINGS
- Choose "Troubleshooting" and untick option "Enable avast! self-defence module"

3. Open (execute) the uninstall utility
4. If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
5. Click REMOVE
6. Restart your computer

To install avast! Premier onto your computer, kindly follow these steps:

1) Download avast! Premier
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe
2) Save it onto your desktop
3) Doubleclick on the file downloaded (avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe)
4) Follow the instructions on the screen
5) Reboot your computer

Download latest version of avast! and install it again. If you have Windows 7 or Vista install avast! with disabled UAC (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off) or run setup file as an administrator (right-click on avast! setup file and from the Drop Down Menu select the Run As Administrator option).

When i followed these instrutions,and my laptop went into safe mode it kept closing down and woulld not start,then finally shut down.
I had to take my laptop to a computer shop and was charged 1500 thai  bht (£30)  for the guy to do afew clicks and get my system back.
Coincidentally the same price i paid for Avast Premier.
I then again contacted the same "expert" who gave me a telephone number in England for teck support.
The number worked but after several adverts and please wait for an adviser my money ran out on my mobile.Dont forget I live in Thailand.
Why do they make it so hard.
As I am on Windows Xp I am very worried.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
It would have been easier and cheaper for us to help on the forum.   Anyways is the firewall working now ?

Lets kill mobogenie for you and then set up Avast to be as tight as possible but still unobtrusive

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
THEN

Download OTL  to your Desktop
Secondary link
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

• Select All Users
  • Select LOP and Purity
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
BASESERVICES
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
c:\program files (x86)\Google\Desktop
c:\program files\Google\Desktop
dir "%systemdrive%\*" /S /A:L /C
/md5start
rpcss.dll
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Attach  both logs

lennyworthington

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:09 AM »
Thankyou essexboy for your help I hope I have done it right

lennyworthington

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:22:44 AM »
 Essexboy

when I try to attach afile i get a message saying the file is too big
this is getting too much ido appreciate your help
should i just get the free avast like i had before will that still protect me

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
What is the current status with the firewall .. Is it working ?

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BprotectEx.sys -- (BprotectEx)
[2013/02/24 08:52:50 | 000,213,444 | ---- | M] () (No name found) -- C:\Documents and Settings\Samsung Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0\extensions\torntv@torntv.com.xpi
[2013/06/30 15:44:04 | 000,239,491 | ---- | M] () (No name found) -- C:\Documents and Settings\Samsung Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\extensions\trtv3@trtv.com.xpi
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - 10 - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKU\S-1-5-21-776561741-573735546-1801674531-1003\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKU\S-1-5-21-776561741-573735546-1801674531-1003\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {2E924F4F-67F0-4BD8-9560-49F468E843D2} - No CLSID value found.
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery present
O18 - Protocol\Handler\linkscanner {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll File not found
O18 - Protocol\Handler\livecall {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL File not found
O18 - Protocol\Handler\msnim {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL File not found
[2013/03/25 08:18:22 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2012
[2013/10/03 09:46:46 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2014
[2013/10/02 09:40:29 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Baidu Security
[2013/10/03 09:48:08 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData
[2013/10/02 09:40:29 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\Samsung Owner\Application Data\Baidu Security

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

lennyworthington

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
Essexboy.Thank you for your help.
I have done all you asked.
Here is the scan result

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
That looks good, what problems do you have at the moment ?