Author Topic: firewall  (Read 1961 times)

shawnm

firewall
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
on the status screen of avast it says all shields active but when I go to the active protection tab it says firewall is off and when I try to start it it says unable to start in the control panel of my computer it says avast firewall is running what do I do

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Try a simple reboot.

If that doesn't resolve it - try an avast repair:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 or later - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shawnm

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
thanks I had to take the battery out because it froze right up at the 95% mark of a full system scan and now it says active ive been having a few other things happen though. 2 times this week I start the computer and put in the password but I dosent load the desktop it just sits at the password screen I had to take out the battery and start in safe mode and use system restore

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
System restore can have unforeseen circumstances as it isn't a full backup but a selective one. In the past a system restore has messed with the avast installation, causing problems.

If after a system restore and you are having avast problems, a repair should be the first step, but that frequently fails to resolve system restore issues with avast. If that is the case you should do a clean reinstall of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shawnm

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
ok ill do the repair now sorry im not great with computers

shawnm

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
i did the repair and as soon as it was done a window popped up in the bottom corner saying to find a anti virus program online that it coudnt find one on the computer and the firewall went back to off I rebooted and it back to normal then a few mins later the action center came up with a message asking if I want to turn avast on I clicked yes 3 different times and it says its still off but the avast tab says its on and all shields and the firewall is on but the action centre says its off?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:30:49 PM by shawnm »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »
Disable all shield and then turn them back on

shawnm

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »
PRESTO it says it is on in the control panel now thanks a lot. one last question when I do a boot scan it come up with some kinda travel log error about internet explorer and after its done in the scan report it says some files couldn't be scanned I click on it and it says the file is windows mediaplayer core and in the status it says error: data erroe (cyclic redundancy check) (23) what is it talking about
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:43:04 PM by shawnm »