Author Topic: freezing during full system scan  (Read 1639 times)

shawnm

freezing during full system scan
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
I asked about the firewall thing a little bit ago but I was doing a full system scan and it gets to 95% and then the computer freezes I took out the battery now it says the firewall is active but why is it freezing when I do I system scan?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: freezing during full system scan
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
I answered your other post and that had a secondary suggestion to do an avast repair, I would definitely follow through with that, given that this is another issue in quick succession.

A Full System Scan is perhaps a bit over the top:
- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shawnm

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
I did the repair and right after it finished the action centre said I needed to find a anti virus program online and the firewall went back to off I rebooted and all looked normal the avast tab said everything was on even the firewall. then a few mins later the action centre popped up again saying avast is turned off I clicked turn on 3 times and it still says its off but the avast tab says everything is on which one do I belive?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
The Windows Action Center (WAC) is a pain in the backside and this is a common issue going back to the start of the original WSC (Windows Security Center) in windows XP.

Fortunately this can be resolved relatively quickly as essexboy said in the other topic "Disable all shield and then turn them back on."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security