Author Topic: Avast Free / Windows 8.1 / Google search crashes  (Read 4856 times)

JonS

Avast Free / Windows 8.1 / Google search crashes
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Avast Free version 2014.9.0.2006
Windows 8.1, IE11
Now tried it on three different Windows 8.1 machines from different manufacturers.

If you try a Google search from https://www.google.co.uk   then IE crashes
Disabling the Avast "online security" IE plugins from within IE allows searches to run normally

A note in "The Register" this morning suggested 8.1/IE11 had an issue with Google and compatibility settings, but I've tried disabling those and not found an improvement

Ideas anyone?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Free / Windows 8.1 / Google search crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JonS

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
I meant constructive ideas....
whats the time schedule for a fix? It makes users rather jittery about having the software on the machine

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
I meant constructive ideas....

Use FF or Chrome until it's fixed.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JonS

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »
That's the dimmest answer yet

By 10:00 this morning I had six phone calls from users (my customers) with this problem
Doubtless there are hundreds more out there.
Problem is not just with Win8.1 - it also affects 8/7/Vista
What am I supposed to do? Tell them all to uninstall Avast and use another AV program instead?
For many users, IE is an essential program. Avast is replaceable. The developers need to remember that

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
What am I supposed to do?

You already answered yourself, no?

Disabling the Avast "online security" IE plugins from within IE allows searches to run normally

Further rants will not help at all. Simply do that until the bug is fixed.

JonS

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »
That isn't a valid solution
I don't have the time to talk through a large number of users one by one telling them how to fix what is in effect a broken update.
For years I've been pushing Avast to my customers as a "quality" product.  Now I have all of those customers giving me grief because I recommended it to them. They expect me to fix it for them. As far as they're concerned, disabling the plugins is not an option as - in their minds - that's disabling part of the security.
This is a colossal f'up and something that should have been obvious in pre-release testing.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:18:44 AM »
I don't have the time to talk through a large number of users one by one telling them how to fix what is in effect a broken update.
For years I've been pushing Avast to my customers as a "quality" product.  Now I have all of those customers giving me grief because I recommended it to them. They expect me to fix it for them. As far as they're concerned, disabling the plugins is not an option as - in their minds - that's disabling part of the security.
This is a colossal f'up and something that should have been obvious in pre-release testing.

Could you please uninstall avast! Online Security plugin from IE 11? There are some circumstances when this configuration crashes. You'll be still protected with all avast shields etc. however you won't see the reputation rankings of visited pages.
Quality is also a feature.

JonS

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »
you can't "uninstall" it from IE11 unless you use a third party app like CCleaner, but you can disable it. That's what I've been telling them to do but......first the numbers are too great, and second a lot of home-users simply are unable to comprehend what is required.
This seems to be hitting every Vista, Win7 or Win8 machine which upgrades - its not just an IE11 problem a IE11  doesn't run on Vista

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »

You know what? So simply wait till it's fixed. Obviously if you refuse to apply obvious workarounds (which you even tested yourself), then the situation will remain unchanged - until it's fixed. Meanwhile you are free to use another browser if you users are unable to follow simple instructions.

JonS

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
so.....still not fixed

and it affects Windows 7 (with IE10) Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
On some machines it also affects Yahoo search

I've seen close to 200 machines with the problem now