Author Topic: Can't run Avast 5.0 Side by side issue  (Read 12803 times)

stuartc252

Can't run Avast 5.0 Side by side issue
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
I got a red update screen and updated from version 4.8 to 5.0 and now I have no icon in the lower right corner of my screen and when trying to run the program from the icon I get the following message: c:\programfiles\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe  The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configruation is incorrect.  Please see the application event log for morre detail.

WTF does this mean and how the hell do I fix it?

cadremis

Re: Can't run Avast 5.0 Side by side issue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:09:22 AM »
I had that problem too before in my sisters' computer, she uses a Windows Vista Ultimate 64, 4 G RAM and I never found a solution till I realized that this computer could not check for windows updates.

After I fixed this, I installed Windows Vista Service  Pack II and that fixed the Side by side configuration problem, now she's using Avast 5 without any problems.

rm

stuartc252

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »
Thanks, I am having the same problem with Windows Update myself.  Just more to fix I guess!  Damm Windows, if I had a job I'd buy a MAc right now.

ibell63

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »
I actually came across this error message earlier today, and I uninstalled avast using add and remove programs and then reinstalled it.  If the uninstaller doesn't run, use the uninstall utility on the support page to uninstall and then reinstall.  When this happened to me, the computer didn't shutdown cleanly after the initial install and I think it resulted in a bad install, so this fixed it.

rawforum

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:53:11 AM »
I had that problem too before in my sisters' computer, she uses a Windows Vista Ultimate 64, 4 G RAM and I never found a solution till I realized that this computer could not check for windows updates.

After I fixed this, I installed Windows Vista Service  Pack II and that fixed the Side by side configuration problem, now she's using Avast 5 without any problems.

rm

So cadremis, you said you fixed the windows update issue on your sisters pc. How did you do it? I have had issues with windows update for a while now and it affects several other application updates as well as now creating this issue with avast. I've read all kinds of forums with suggestions to fix it and tried them all to no avail. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.

coolsilver

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 03:32:56 AM »
I believe I had this same issue before. I can not remember.

But it had to do with the Visual C Runtime files. I would try to download MS Visual C++ runtime 2005 and 2008 each with latest service pack and install them.

If this doesn't help you may need to reinstall avast.

Worst case looking at a Windows format and reload.