Author Topic: Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)  (Read 23962 times)

mkadrova

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
I received the error in Chrome and can not connect to various sites at random times (when this happens all browers on my machine are impacted). If I disable Avast the problem goes away.

Windows Firewall
Antivirus: Avast Free 6.0.1289, Engine Version 111020-2, Release Date 10/20/11
No prior antivirus software installed
No other issues
Other laptops on the network not having this issues (and they are not running avast)

Any ideas?

iyogisolutions1

Re: Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
Hi,

Can you give us further more information about this error as in whether you are getting the "ERROR 101" only when you launch Google Chrome or is it with all or few browsers?  Also check for internet connectivity using Internet Explorer. Would request you to try the internet connection after disabling the windows defender (Start - Search - windows defender) and ensure there are no other anti-virus software installed on your PC. Please revert if this helps to fix else we can research furthermore and get you the solution.

Thanks
Good Karma!

mkadrova

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 03:48:02 AM »
The error isn't just when Chrome is launched it might just happen in the middle of loading a page. When it occurs I get an error in all browers. I did try it after disabling windows defender and that had no affect. There are no other anti-virus softwares on my PC. The last time it occured, I opened a cmd prompt and could ping www.google.com, however I couldn't browse to it until I disabled Avast.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »
I suggest:

1_ uninstalling Chrome,
2_ reboot,
3_ clean up any chrome leftovers,
4_ reboot again,
5_ download the latest stable version of chrome,
6_ reinstall Chrome,
7_ reboot again before testing,
8_ report back.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
Greetings mkadrova ,

what i was asking was if this issue occurs when you work with Chrome or is it the same when you work with IE.

I understand that the page freezes and disconnects internet connection when this happens. Just wanted to know if the same thing happens while you work with just Internet explorer.

Thanks
Good Karma

mkadrova

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:42:30 AM »
It happens in IE as well as chrome. Although the error message in IE is a bit different. The next time it happens I will report back.

mkadrova

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
ok. when I get the 101 error in Chrome, the IE error is: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. I know.. fairly generic. There is a box underneath the error that says "Diagnose Conneciton Problems" And under that it says: This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
•Internet connectivity has been lost.
•The website is temporarily unavailable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
 To view subscribed feeds:
1.Click the Favorites button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages):
1.Press Alt, click File, and then click Work Offline.
2.Click the Favorites button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »
This can occur due to incorrect proxy settings in the web browser for Avast

Resolution: Include the Proxy server settings for Internet Explorer when using broadband and/or local area network (LAN) Internet connection
1.   Start Internet Explorer.
2.   Select Tools -> Internet Options... from the main menu.
3.   Switch to page Connections.
4.   Click on the LAN Settings... button.
5.   Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
6.   Write localhost into the Address field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
7.   Enter 12080 into the Port field.
8.   Confirm with OK button.

Screenshots provided below:

If you still face the issue, please update us back.

Have a wonderful day. Good k@rma!

dusk8818

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Simple fix i found on another site and it works 100%:
I use avast home edition anti-virus, when I stopped it every thing worked 100% but this is bad workaround (stay without protection)
I further investigated it and found that if you go to avast anti-virus settings -> troublshooting -> redirect settings -> WEB  I found that HTTP port was populated with 80, I deleted that and the problem was solved already 2 weeks :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
You might just as well have disabled the web shield as that is essentially what you have done.

So you haven't solved the problem, just disabled a level of protection. It might look like the web shield is running, but if it isn't scanning port 80 traffic (the greatest majority of HTTP traffic uses port 80), you aren't fully protected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security