Author Topic: Scan hanging at C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe  (Read 7571 times)

JohnRKaba

Scan hanging at C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
So I got fed up with AVG a few days ago and uninstalled it (quite a process) and installed Avast.
Once installed on my desktop, ran a full scan and found 7 files, very nice.
Then I installed it on my laptop, and started a full scan.  It hangs up after 10/1 files/folders, at C:\Windows\SYstem32\svchost.exe (quick scan does the same).  None of my svchost.exe files seem to be using more CPU/memory than normal.
I'm running windows 7 home premium SP1 and have Avast 6.0.1000.   

Also I'm getting an error that I'm not running an antivirus program, but Avast says it's working.

I've also been having a problem with shutting down.  It freezes in the "Logging off" screen so I have to do a hard shut down every time.

Are they connected?  It is something easy?  Should I just throw it out the window now?

Nesivos

Re: Scan hanging at C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
What you need to do is identify the Services running under the specific Svchost Process at which the Scans hang.   Then you should be able to identify the problem and fix it.

I can tell you how to identify the Services running under each Svchost Process.

However I do not know how to directly identify which Svchost Process the Scans are hanging on as there are numerous Svchhost Processes in the Windows\System32\   directory path.

I can only offer an indirect solution which would be to open Task Manager set it to stay on top and sort by CPU Usage under the Processes tab.  Click on "View" then "Select Columns" and then click on "PID".  Then rerun the scan with the Task Manager open and try and see if one of the Svchost Pocesses shows a spike in CPU and/or Memory Usage just before and at the time that the scan freezes.  If you can identify a Svchost Process that has a CPU and/or Memory Usage spike just before or at the time that the scans freeze then we should be able to identify the Service/Program that is causing the problem.

You could also try and download Windows "SysInternals" "Process Monitor".  Open it and then start your scan.  when the scan hangs go to the task bar on the right and move the bar down to the bottom when the scan hangs.  This may show you what Service was running last when the scan hangs.  It will be the last Service running to the right of the "AvastSvc.exe" Process at the time that the scan hangs.  I have never actually tried this on a scan that hangs but it seems that it should give you the information you need to identify the Service/Program under which the scans are hanging/freezing.  If it does than the problem should be solvable.

Someone else will probably be able to come up with a better solution to your problem then I offered about

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:25:27 PM by Nesivos »

mstasko108

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »

@ JohnRKaba:

Hi John -- I have the EXACT same problem that you have described with my DELL Laptop

* Have you been able to fix this or discover the source of the problems?

-- I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, etc...

Regards
Michael

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
Did you use avg removal tool? before putting on avast?

mstasko108

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply

Avg Removal Tool?

Nope -- Sounds like I should have?

That being said, this problem of not being able to install things, hanging on scans, hanging on shut-down, etc... has plagued me for a while.

I believe that the windows system files have been corrupted * Of course I am happy to try anything

Do you have any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
See - Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.

Item [02] AVG AV > Info > Tool (32bit) - Tool (64 bit) in the list of uninstallers, ensure that you get the correct one for your OS/version of A V G (32bit or 64bit uninstaller).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security