Author Topic: Phone got lost/stolen. Little story & some questions  (Read 4213 times)

redX

Phone got lost/stolen. Little story & some questions
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
Hi

I lost my phone (or it got stolen, what ever...) during my vacation in an foreign country.
A day later (still on vacation), I got informed about a sim-card change. But Anti-Theft was unable to get to location.
So I called the number. Somebody picked up and hung up after a couple of seconds. I tried again and the phone was switched off.
Wrote a text message to the new number. Said I would give a reward if he returns the phone. Nothing happend.

What a jerk. So I went to the police and reported. Then I flew back home. This was last Tuesday.
Today I got a new "sim-card has changed" message. Its still the same number as the first number. Wrote a new message to the jerk and informed the police about it.

So. Now some questions:

1. How often does Avast reports about the "new" sim-card? Every time the phone will be turned on?

2. I'm a little afraid to send a command to the finders number because my Avast password will be in there. How do I know, that the guy (or girl, lets be correct ;D) will not get his sim-card out of my phone and puts it in his phone? Because then he will have my password. (Well, I guess he will not know what to do if it, but better safe than sorry)

3. Is there a possibility to check if the phone is active under the given phone number?

I'm somehow pissed about losing my phone and somehow thrilled to have a trojan on my phone which I am able to control  8)

Thank you for the help

Kind Regards

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: Phone got lost/stolen. Little story & some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
Hi

I lost my phone (or it got stolen, what ever...) during my vacation in an foreign country.
A day later (still on vacation), I got informed about a sim-card change. But Anti-Theft was unable to get to location.
So I called the number. Somebody picked up and hung up after a couple of seconds. I tried again and the phone was switched off.
Wrote a text message to the new number. Said I would give a reward if he returns the phone. Nothing happend.

What a jerk. So I went to the police and reported. Then I flew back home. This was last Tuesday.
Today I got a new "sim-card has changed" message. Its still the same number as the first number. Wrote a new message to the jerk and informed the police about it.

So. Now some questions:

1. How often does Avast reports about the "new" sim-card? Every time the phone will be turned on?

2. I'm a little afraid to send a command to the finders number because my Avast password will be in there. How do I know, that the guy (or girl, lets be correct ;D) will not get his sim-card out of my phone and puts it in his phone? Because then he will have my password. (Well, I guess he will not know what to do if it, but better safe than sorry)

3. Is there a possibility to check if the phone is active under the given phone number?

I'm somehow pissed about losing my phone and somehow thrilled to have a trojan on my phone which I am able to control  8)

Thank you for the help

Kind Regards

1. When its changed/turned on.
2. You have missunderstood the purpose of AT. ALL (!) commands will be HIDDEN, no one can see whats sent to AT! Unless  there's an sms application with higher priority....
3. If the phone respons to a command "directly" or few min after (code locate) its active duuh, if no response then it isnt.

redX

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »
Hi tcntad

Thanks for the response.

1. Thanks for the info

2. Well, I got that one right. But what if I get a message about a changed sim card. After 5 Minutes, the guy takes the sim-card out of my phone again and put it in his mobile. When I then send a command to the finders sim-card (which is in his phone, so no AT), then he will see my password because there is no AT which will hide the messages. No?

3. ok :)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
in that case its better to use web UI as this does not send your PWD.

redX

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
To keep you guys up to date.
I think with the second message I scared the sh*t out of the finder/thief and she called me and brought the phone to the police.
Then a wild ride with the police occurred and now I think the will send the phone back to me. Let see I will have it again. woot woot  8)

I didn't activate the web UI for me phone yet. I wasnt aware of it existence till reinhard post above. If I get it back, I will do that asap  ::)

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:32:56 AM by redX »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Good to hear about a happy end :-) Grats!