Author Topic: Thepiratebay.org is now a malicious site?  (Read 85760 times)

wishlish

Thepiratebay.org is now a malicious site?
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
Just got a message from network shield that the Pirate Bay is now classified as a malicious site. Is this new?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Thepiratebay.org is now a malicious site?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
It's banned by hphosts also. They share malware among their files.
The best things in life are free.

wishlish

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
Is this new? I've never seen this message before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
Generally, avast detection is accurate in these cases.
Isn't it an encrypted/obfuscated script or iframe?
Wasn't the site hacked or linked to malware?

Anyway, I wouldn't expect that a site for pirated and cracked things remain in the status "everything is ok" for ever...

traktor

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
This is ridiculous!

Why is this site blocked?

I'm now surfing with avast disabled just because of this blocking. I'm using a registered version of avast home edition, what is the problem? ???

matzas

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:15 PM »
Yes, avast obviously want to cencure Internet. Like in China.

This is a good reason to use another antivirus program.  

kraftonz

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »
Piratebay share also Public domain and usefull audiobook (in public domain) for the blinds.

You must let's the users choose between evil (the copyrighted materials) and the good (public domain, like audio books for me and other goodies)
you are not god for choosing this for us !

I'm angry tonight.

sorry.

Thank you for your product, but you must take out of the black list "the pirate bay . org"
 >:(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
Hi wishlish,

This site has been blocked by Dutch providers by court order against copyrighted material downloading practices and they were convicted because they did not show up in court, action of Dutch RIAA Brein (=Brain) because the party that does not react to a summoning twitter or e-mail looses in court. PHP and illegal downloading propriety content is frowned upon by B.M. and they do all they can to frustrate it and eventually ban it completely. New laws have arrived to France and now UK will have draconian measures in the pipeline. Malcode there is the main reason apparently but the other issues could also be a pretext to make it more difficult to go there, and the same issues will come to usenet downloading.
Remember there was nothing wrong in the past with a simple port scan, once you could plea the workings of malcode to escape a ban or risk a three strikes out policy on behalf of your provider if you were caught. Times are changing, folks, so stick to the rules always. "When the going gets narrow, keep your eye on the sparrow",

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
You can make an exception into WebShield settings I think...

kraftonz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:19 PM »
You can make an exception into WebShield settings I think...

Hello !

How can i make this ?

thank you very much !

:D

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
Yes, avast obviously want to cencure Internet. Like in China.

This is a good reason to use another antivirus program.  
That is obviously not true.Just because it blocks a site,that doesn't mean it will censor the internet.Also,why are you telling other user to switch to other antivirus program.This is the avast forum.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
I rarely used piratebay. I use isohunt and mininova. I find it better and more secure. Also for torrent i use uTorrent and for music Blubster. You should note it because i never had problem with the thing i said. So you could take a look.

PS : If you download something that you didnt trust or seem malicious then dont download it or otherwise u can report it to the site manager for he take a look at it and delete the torrent if he is a virus or malware.

Mr.Agent

mariory

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
What a joke. It isn't blocked or flagged by any other site scanners. The Piratebay is not illegal in the UK so why should I not have access to it.

Thanks for the protection thus far but there are other free alternatives out there.

http://ctunnel.com/index.php/1010110A/0ae9309a80d91b0bdbc1a85e0108eb5b62b3fecece8718540 

Shove that down your censoring throats.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:19:38 PM by mariory »

Soldim

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
Generally, avast detection is accurate in these cases.
Isn't it an encrypted/obfuscated script or iframe?

Doesn't seem to be the case.

Wasn't the site hacked or linked to malware?

Nope. It was down due to capacity problems, but that's hardly a reason to block it.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect that a site for pirated and cracked things remain in the status "everything is ok" for ever...

Well, most torrents that TPB links to can be found on Google as well with the difference that TPB has a system to distinguish between risky ones and more trustable sources. I hope Avast won't start blocking Google for that reason anytime soon.  :P

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I also did see many bad thing about piratebay about sharing really bad thing and im really glad that Avast! block it. Not for fun but for stop the Avast! user to download their malware !!!! So if you use another anti virus software who dont flag this website well you can have chance to have malware on this website and make ur pc into a zombie. Even if im not wrong the law his self did say that piratebay share malware even also the "News". Isnt amazing that you dont trust Avast! ? Well if you wanna trust their web and u get trapped dont say its Avast! fault. Because he did warn you before you enter so you make a exception but share this web at your own risk !!!!

Mr.Agent