Author Topic: Is Avast any good?  (Read 8778 times)

Jem

Is Avast any good?
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »
Hi again,

Not trying to be funny...I just read some not so complimentary reviews including the latest 'AV-Comparative'. Avast doesn't seem to stand up well against the competition particularly Avira AntiVir, which surprises me, particularly as I didn't think much of the AntiVir functionality. Can someone comment for me please. I own two NOD32 licences and I'm poised to either go for a third, or go for Avast, but I'm on the fence right now. Reason for looking is basically some not so nice issues to do with the NOD32 interface / compatibility / clashes with other software.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is Avast any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »
I don't know what went on with the latest av-comparatives, but for some reason many AVs took a step back. avast for some time has been getting rated Advanced in the av-comparitives tests and awards of the VB100 also.

I have had avast for 2 years 9 months and no problems, so why not try it, you can use the Pro Trial version for a 60 days unrestricted use. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »
Jem, you should not post a title like that.

Avast has done a very long time rather well and most av-comparatives reviews are also a test to that.
I run currently Avira Antivir and yes it is on tops with detection.

However, you should consider also this.
Avira has problems with updates while Avast has not and Avast is a more comprehensive antivirus solution with webshield and email scanning proxies.

My current security solution allows me to run Avira (I think) a bit lighter than Avast. You should check though that Avast has some spyware detection better that Antivir free. That is no concern to me, but some of you with a basic protection might consider this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 06:59:41 PM by Jarmo P »

Jem

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:48:08 PM »
Well, I'm terribly sorry!!!!!!!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting  a 'title like that'. It is straightforward question prompted by a, frankly, bad review in the last 'Pro-active' test at AV Comparatives. I didn't swear, didn't insult anybody, and expect a straightforward answer to justify other claims that Avast is a superior AV solution. I also started my post by saying (quote) 'I'm not trying to be funny'...

As to AntiVir, it is the Premium edition I'm trialling not the free one, and that severely lacks functionality compared to Avast.

BUT, I've now had a MAJOR problem with Avast - I reinstalled the Pro trial (only ever had it installed for two days) and it now tells me my licence is about to expire and that I have to purchase it! What happened to the 60 days?? My Pro installation has now reverted to the Home Edition, so I'm more than miffed! Can an expert help me out here please?? I'm not ready to buy - I want to continue with my trial!

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:44:25 PM »
Well if you have used the pro trial before, uninstalling it would effectively be concluding the trial. A part of the anti-piracy functionality will stop it being uninstalled and reinstall to get round the 60 trial. That is why you are restricted to this lessor period, 6 days I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »
BUT, I've now had a MAJOR problem with Avast - I reinstalled the Pro trial (only ever had it installed for two days) and it now tells me my licence is about to expire and that I have to purchase it! What happened to the 60 days?? My Pro installation has now reverted to the Home Edition, so I'm more than miffed! Can an expert help me out here please?? I'm not ready to buy - I want to continue with my trial!
You can send an email to sales (at) avast.com and explain the situation.
They could give you a full trial period again.
This is an antipiracy feature, avoiding the use of more than one trial period in the same computer...
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
Not trying to be funny...I just read some not so complimentary reviews including the latest 'AV-Comparative'. Avast doesn't seem to stand up well against the competition particularly Avira AntiVir, which surprises me, particularly as I didn't think much of the AntiVir functionality.

Those tests were not so uncomplementary to Avast as they were to Kaspersky.
They were a test  ....  You leave your antivirus unupdated for a half year.
A test how an antivirus regognizes new malware without signature updates gathered for a half year. A retrospective test.
Someone with good heuristics can beat unkown malware better than someone based mostly on updated malware "database".

So Kaspersky failed big time and Avast sure was not on tops, that is not something to base your antivirus trust to some retrospective test.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:48:38 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »
Those tests were not so uncomplementary to Avast as they were to Kaspersky.
They were a test  ....  You leave your antivirus unupdated for a half year.
A test how an antivirus regognizes new malware without signature updates gathered for a half year. A retrospective test.
Someone with good heuristics can beat unkown malware better than someone based mostly on updated malware "database".
So Kaspersky failed big time and Avast sure was not on tops, that is not to base about your antivirus trust.
Get my mind... I haven't to change any word you've said  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 12:14:21 AM »

Not trying to be funny...I just read some not so complimentary reviews including the latest 'AV-Comparative'. Avast doesn't seem to stand up well against the competition particularly Avira AntiVir, which surprises me, particularly as I didn't think much of the AntiVir functionality. Can someone comment for me please. I own two NOD32 licences and I'm poised to either go for a third, or go for Avast, but I'm on the fence right now. Reason for looking is basically some not so nice issues to do with the NOD32 interface / compatibility / clashes with other software.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

its funny though that u post such a title in a AV forum(avast forum)..anyway..i will answer u straightforward..i have not used neither antivir premium nor avast pro,but i've used many freebies as avg free edition,antivir personal,active virus shield,AOL suite and avast home edition..they are all pretty gd..antivir and active virus shield(based on kaspersky machine)may have some more detection rate than the others..but as freevies they suck..antivir personal lacks in features,in support and has many many bugs(read some reviews about updating issues and pops up issues and for version 7 in general)..active virus shield and AOL lack in support too and use lots of ram..avg is pretty good and it uses very low ram,BUT it has no many features and no http traffic monitor(web shield in avast) which is very important especially if u use dsl internet connection..i've been using avast home edition for 6months and never regreted it..the reason is that it has many featrures that can be compared with commercial AV products,it has good detection,fast updates,pretty low ram usage AND a GREAT support..the forum as u've noticed by urself is very friendly and the replies for ur solution are fast..
Its ur opinion of course,ur money and ur machine..but i fairly recommend avast as one of the best AV solutions.. ;)

check this link for free antivirus reviews http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwvirus.html

welcome to the forum :D
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:56 AM »
I would not base my opinion on Retro tests. I do have high confidence in the on-demand tests.
However, the most important criterion of any software is whether or not it performs well on your system. If it does not, and gives trouble I dump it and find one that does.

Avast does not show as well as some others. However, that fact does not mean it is not good. I tried Avira in all versions, and while it is lighter than Avast, and has better detection rates, it caused me some problems that I was not willing to tolerate. Of the two I prefer Avast for my use.

For probably at least 3 years I have recommended Avast Home to people who are looking for a good AV. Two of those are my daughter, and one of my best friends.
None of the folks that have installed Avast has had any problems with infections, and Avast seems to run well on most machines. I do not hesitate to recommend it to those who I think are not dangerous surfers.

Although I do not currently run Avast, it has always been my "fall back" AV.

I do have high confidence in AV Comparatives, and any AV that has been rated Advanced, it a good one.
The retro tests use, if I remember correctly, three month old samples, and the AVs are not updated for that 3 month period. That test heuristics, but ignores signature updates, and Proactive Defense such as KAV. Although IBK has forgotten more that I'll ever know about computers, and security I do not put much stock in the retro tests. I had rather trust fast updates and the Proactive Defense of KAV.

Avast is an excellent AV, and I would predict that if one uses it and is a wise user, he will never experience security problems.

Best,
Jerry

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »
I would not base my opinion on Retro tests. I do have high confidence in the on-demand tests.
However, the most important criterion of any software is whether or not it performs well on your system. If it does not, and gives trouble I dump it and find one that does.

Avast does not show as well as some others. However, that fact does not mean it is not good. I tried Avira in all versions, and while it is lighter than Avast, and has better detection rates, it caused me some problems that I was not willing to tolerate. Of the two I prefer Avast for my use.

For probably at least 3 years I have recommended Avast Home to people who are looking for a good AV. Two of those are my daughter, and one of my best friends.
None of the folks that have installed Avast has had any problems with infections, and Avast seems to run well on most machines. I do not hesitate to recommend it to those who I think are not dangerous surfers.

Although I do not currently run Avast, it has always been my "fall back" AV.

I do have high confidence in AV Comparatives, and any AV that has been rated Advanced, it a good one.
The retro tests use, if I remember correctly, three month old samples, and the AVs are not updated for that 3 month period. That test heuristics, but ignores signature updates, and Proactive Defense such as KAV. Although IBK has forgotten more that I'll ever know about computers, and security I do not put much stock in the retro tests. I had rather trust fast updates and the Proactive Defense of KAV.

Avast is an excellent AV, and I would predict that if one uses it and is a wise user, he will never experience security problems.

Best,
Jerry

i torelly aggree with u..

there is no "the best" AV and all the AV products will miss at least a hundred of malwares and that's y thousands of malwares are maden every day..u can't find a AV that can protect u from all the malwares..but u can find a AV that can offer u gd protection,gd support and works well with ur machine..i use AVAST,Comodo Firewall,Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D for both on-demand spyware scanner and with immunization for IE and so far i have no problems..my pc works like a charm with this combination..AVAST finds any virus/trojan before it gets in my pc(web shield)...but i am careful and can understand which sites or files contain viruses so i don't download them..if i download something by accident AVAST finds it and everything is ok.. ;)
so,find an AV that suits best for ur needs and has a gd detection rate,coz u can't find "the best" AV ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:28:57 PM by BJ_GeOrgE »
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner