Author Topic: Email Subject Line Blank Scanning  (Read 2426 times)

JBDive

Email Subject Line Blank Scanning
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:29:50 PM »
I found in the forums others have posted issues with subject line scanning and the fix to disable it however I want to add my 2 cents on this as well.

I like the idea of subject line scanning however what I have found is because the scanning is realtime as the email comes it vs. when I actually view that message aVast basically stops all further Outlook actions until you respond to the alert. This is fine if your in front of the PC but I sync remotly to my desktop via activesync so if I get a blank subject line email it stops all email and syncing until I get back to the desktop to click on the aVast alert.

Might I suggest a check box to make my last action the default action or a way to set the default action such as "Mark message as possible infection" or some such?

I have one person who sends me blank subject line emails all the time no matter how many time I ask them not to.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email Subject Line Blank Scanning
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
You can adjust your Sensitivity, to Medium or Low and check the scanning options in the list, choosing the level that best suits your needs. Or you could set it to custom level and adjust the Heuristic settings so as not to check the subject, however, I thought this was off by default (see image), set slider to Custom and click the Customize button in the resident task settings screen.

Because avast uses a proxy to scan the emails before they arrive in your inbox that may be a little more difficult. If you were even able to do this (in the home version, you don't mention what version you use), it would mean that there is a potentially infected email in the inbox. Any subsequent on-demand scan could also find this and there may be a risk that the entire email inbox (.pst) file is removed rather than the infected email.

Whilst replying I have also sent myself a test email with a blank subject and it has been received without an alert from avast and my Sensitivity setting is High, using OE 6. So I'm not sure why/how mine and your settings differ. I don't use MS Outlook or the Outlook/Exchange plug-in so I don't know if the comparison is valid.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »
OK I set-up and enabled the outlook/exchange plug-in and the comparison should be valid as there are more options in the outlook/exchange plug-in. Wouldn't the default Inbound Mail tab option of move it to the following outlook folder be best for remote operation, the same for the Virus Storing tab. You can then check that folder later and manually delete suspect emails.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JBDive

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »
Well I had made the change to tell it to stop scanning the subject line and now I've tried to revert back to default and try your idea of using a sub folder but it appears it is not scanning at all on the subject line as emails sent from a webmail account back to me with no subject just process right into my inbox.

I will mess with it some more.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
Good luck, let us know how you get on.