Author Topic: Error: Cannot Connect To Server  (Read 5116 times)

possom20

Error: Cannot Connect To Server
« on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
I believe I have a virus that is deeply hidden. It blocks the auto updates on both avast and windows defender. I manually downloaded the updated files and installed and still can't detect whatever it is.

I've run Malwarebytes, Avast (regular scan and boot-time), spybot, super anti-spyware, and have followed pretty much every advice I've seen online in an attempt to clear this. Another symptom is random pages come up when I go to sites as well as when I go to some sites I get redirected. I've done everything in both safe mode and regular. Whatever it is, I can't find it and it's driving me insane. I've gone through my registry looking for anything that seems out of place as well as my system.32 folder, system folder, and program folder. I've checked my msconfig. I've done pretty much all I can and need someone better versed at this than me. I would just reinstall windows, but I have programs on this computer that take 2 days+ to download and I'd rather not have to reinstall them. Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Error: Cannot Connect To Server
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
If the above does not work then follow this guide from Essexboy and attach the log`s in your next reply
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

see lower left corner: + Additional Options > Attach > ( MBAM scan log / OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt )

avastuser12345

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:16 AM »
I have the problem exactly the same as described. I checked and tried everything that is suggested in the forum but nothing works. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall and still can't get the virus definition updated automatically, of course same error when maually update.

I downloaded Malwarebytes. During installation and connecting to server, I got the same type of unable to update error -
"As error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team.
MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12029,0,WinHttpSendRequest)"

Please help. I do think some virus is blocking me.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

Welcome to the forums, avastuser12345   :)

Please follow Pondus's advice above. When you get the logs, start your own thread so as to not confuse this one.