Author Topic: Malicious URL Blocked - Inconsistent - Help Needed  (Read 2078 times)

vern17

Malicious URL Blocked - Inconsistent - Help Needed
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:53 AM »
I use a couple different sites: Cydots.com and Smartdots.com. If you visit the sites, you can see they are very similar, so I'm guessing they are run by the same people. The last few days, Avast has detected that each site has the infection Mal:URL and the sites won't come up. Here's the problem: it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes they come up just fine and aren't detected with the infection and other times they are. The other problem is it seems to happen that Avast detects the infection more times on Cydots than on Smartdots. Along with this, these sites use an image captcha service (ciptcha.com) for their captcha when doing things like registering for a domain on the site. Again, Avast sometimes detects this captcha service as a malicious url and other times it doesn't.

I'm thinking these may be false positives Avast is detecting due to it not detecting them every time and the fact that there were no issues with these sites up until the last few days. I have been using these sites for a couple years and have never had any problems or had Avast detect anything on them.

Can this please be investigated, as when these sites are being detected by Avast, they are obviously unusable.

NOTE: Before I started writing this topic, Cydots and Smartdots were being detected by Avast with the infection. Just in the few minutes that I was writing, I checked them again and Smartdots is working completely fine (including the captcha), while the Cydots site comes up, but the captcha on Cydots is getting detected. Pretty weird the captcha thing would be detected on one site but not on the other since they use the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:03:24 AM by vern17 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:48:33 AM by Pondus »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Malicious URL Blocked - Inconsistent - Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
+1  Looks to me as if Pondus nailed this down.

At least Avast! is protecting you.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801