Author Topic: Can't turn on avast.  (Read 6272 times)

Skyro

Can't turn on avast.
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi. So I have a problem with avast free, i started my PC today and avast shows me that my computer is unprotected. When i choose to fix this, it lags for about 30 sec and do nothing. I also cannot update virus database and the program itself. I tried restarting my PC, downloading the lastest version and reinstalling, but none of this helped me. How can I fix this? Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can't turn on avast.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
What was your previous av and how did you remove it ? what firewall are you running ?

Skyro

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
I don't remember my previous AV, I was using avast and had absolutely no problem with it, but suddenly, this happened. I use Windows FW.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
You wont have to touch or add anything to the windows firewall but if you have remnants of another av still installed it can cause conflicts, try looking through this site and see if any thing jogs your memory http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/, run the correct removal tool for any av you have used in the past and reboot, also try a repair of avast via remove programs, click avast as to uninstall and scroll down to repair and click ok-next.
Once you remove previous av remnants and a repair does not work i suggest uninstalling avast then reboot and reinstall and register.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:22:46 PM by craigb »

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
Hi. So I have a problem with avast free, i started my PC today and avast shows me that my computer is unprotected. When i choose to fix this, it lags for about 30 sec and do nothing. I also cannot update virus database and the program itself. I tried restarting my PC, downloading the lastest version and reinstalling, but none of this helped me. How can I fix this? Thanks

Can you please try a Clean Uninstall of Avast under Windows Safe Mode (not "Add/Remove programs") using the Avast's tool at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility?

Reboot from Safe mode into Normal mode, delete your browser's cache and use the latest stable version of Avast to clean install anew (not "repair" but new clean install).

Please reboot right after the new install has completely finished.

After that latest reboot, is your system recognizing Avast (Windows "secured")?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

Can you please try a Clean Uninstall of Avast under Windows Safe Mode (not "Add/Remove programs") using the Avast's tool at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility?

Reboot from Safe mode into Normal mode, delete your browser's cache and use the latest stable version of Avast to clean install anew (not "repair" but new clean install).

Please reboot right after the new install has completely finished.

After that latest reboot, is your system recognizing Avast (Windows "secured")?
ady4um the removal tool should not be needed unless there is a problem in removing avast via the normal procedures.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:10:33 PM by craigb »

Skyro

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
So I tried ady4um's method and avast seems to work correctly, everything what's supposed to be green, is green. Thanks a lot both of you, I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.  ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Good that its fixed, still try and remember what av's you did have installed so the remains can be deleted.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
@Skyro, good news.

@craigb,

You are correct about first trying a simple "repair" using the normal "Add/Remove Programs" method.

Apparently, other AV tools that may had been uninstalled in the past were not the problem, since the OP has been using Avast for some time now, with no problems.

The OP (Skyro) already tried "reinstalling" using a new downloaded setup.exe, which failed to solved the problem. That means that the problem may need deeper investigations than some repair using the normal "Add/Remove..." method.

Many things could be tried to actually solve the problem (and learn from it so to avoid it in the future).

The "workaround" is much more efficient and effective in this case. After the OP already tried the normal repair but failed, this was the faster "solution".

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
The OP'S problem is fixed so the contributing efforts of a community forum is what matters in the end, all good  :)

Skyro

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm kinda lazy, so i always try the opinion which does require least effort. And craigb, thanks for advice, I remembered that I've had Eset and MBAM, now cleaning all up. Have a nice day  :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
Skyro its well worth keeping a copy of malwarebytes on your system for on demand scans as well, if something slips by avast malwarebytes is excellent in it cleanup abilities.