Author Topic: Windows Live Mail 2011  (Read 5836 times)

jamjar

Windows Live Mail 2011
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
Hi

I'm currently using Windows Live Mail with Avast Pro AV 6.0. I'm considering installing Windows Live Mail 2011 but would first like to know whether there are any known issues between Avast (e.g. Mail Shield) and WLM 2011?

Is WLM 2011 worth installing?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Windows Live Mail 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
WLM does not conflict with avast, as to your question if it is worth installing well that is personal preference, i used to use WLM then changed it to thunderbird since it was a bit lighter and avast was able to scan my mail with thunderbird but now iv decided to delet thunderbird and just access my mail via hotmail.
WLM does have alot of features though if you use all of them but you can untick the componants you dont want.

Dieselman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Better off just using web based email.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
I use web and Microsoft Outlook for both gmail and yahoo.

I would not use WLM tho.. personal opinion.

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

Why not just log into Yahoo.com or Gmail.com? Its quicker easier and faster.

EdisnaecoIMVU

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »

Why not just log into Yahoo.com or Gmail.com? Its quicker easier and faster.

Because mail spam filters on the web are not so great

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
I was using the previous version of Windows Live Mail and then upgraded to Windows Live Mail 11 and then went back to the previous version. And now I'm back with WLM 11. The reason I went back to the previous version is because I felt that the interface of WLM 11 was too cluttered and difficult to navigate. The previous version was much cleaner. The new interface of WLM 11 does take some getting used to. I have had absolutely no problems using WLM 11.

The main reason I use Windows Live Mail is to consolidate several email accounts into one area. Mail shield only monitors one of these email accounts as the other two are setup in WLM as webmail and are scanned with the file shield. I open one program and access all three accounts from there. One of the email accounts I use is basically my junk email account where I know that when I use it at certain sites I will receive spam.

I have attached an example of WLM 11.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:06:17 PM by Charyb »

Dieselman

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »
Been using Yahoo web based email for about 10 years now. Spam goes into the spam folder automatically.  It's as easy as that.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
I use Gmail to send/receive all my emails from all accounts together, never had a problem and it's too much easier than every other way.
Also Gmail antispam works great! better than other antispam filters I've used. Also Web Based email is way faster and safer :)
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »
The new interface of WLM 11 does take some getting used to. I have had absolutely no problems using WLM 11.
I have no problem with WLM 11 as well.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
WLM 2011 works fantastic with Avast mail shield ;D ... can't see any reason why it wouldn't to be honest ::)

ps: on a side note, they modified slightly the behavior of Gmail/IMAP accounts in wlm 2011, making it now an acceptable client for Gmail.

disPlay

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:11:44 AM »
WLM 2011 works fantastic with Avast mail shield ;D ... can't see any reason why it wouldn't to be honest ::)

ps: on a side note, they modified slightly the behavior of Gmail/IMAP accounts in wlm 2011, making it now an acceptable client for Gmail.

WLM Uses the DealtaSync protocol with hotmail. And the mail shield from avast can't see "trace" that communication.
With other emails its fine.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:45 AM »
WLM Uses the DealtaSync protocol with hotmail. And the mail shield from avast can't see "trace" that communication.
With other emails its fine.
Yet you can manually configure it sync Hotmail Emails via POP, but then you would not be able to sync folders with server...
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Dieselman

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
The problem with any pop3 email program is that once you open it up it will grab all your email from your web server. So if you want to remotely check your email and find that old email your "sol". The great thing about web based email is that you can check your email from any pc in the world. Plus web mail is safer and easier.

jamjar

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
Thanks for all the interesting replies. I'll probably upgrade to WLM 2011.