Author Topic: I cannot fill a support ticket  (Read 3025 times)

nigelle

I cannot fill a support ticket
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
I have tried to fill a ticket but when I click to submit it there is a message saying "Oops  wrong department id a tentative of cross site forgery has been detected" or something like and all that I have entered is erased !   >:(
My problem was a compatibility issue :"Huge (3 GO.) c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log"
What can I do ?

nigelle

Re: I cannot fill a support ticket
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
May be I can copy here my ticket as a work around of the Avast site problem ?

"Huge (3 GO.) c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log

Windows complained that it has not enough space to de-fragment my C: partition (20 GO.).
I have made a search for big directories and found that c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log was bigger than 3 GO. in fact 3 364 945 920 octets ! In particular I have 16 files named unpN...N.mdmp (N...N being 7 or 8 digits) ranging from 153 to 316 MO. and some smaller files near 100 MO.

A safe and clean method  can be to download Avast installer, unplug the network connection, stop Avast, UN-install it, erase all the Avast files and directories (which are them ?), re-install Avast. Is there an easier method e.g. by erasing some files and/or  directories  without UN-install and re-install ?

Do you have or plan to have a feature to limit the growth of this directory ?

I have also find the c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software repertory. If I remember well Alwil was the old name of Avast. Can I erase it safely ?"
Windows XP Home SP3
Avast 2014.9.0.2007 / VPS 131114-0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
These .mdmp files are created when avast has a problem, the fact that you have so many of them is indicative of a persistent problem, not just the occasional hiccup.

Are you getting any avast errors displayed to the screen ?

Since you have folders from the old alwil and the new avast software, I would say it is best to do a clean install of the latest version, now avast 9.0.2008.

- Download the latest version of avast, 9.0.2007 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode),  Select the avast product it is you want to uninstall from the dropdown list (see image, click to expand), once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: Save the copy of avastclear.exe so it can be reused (if required) as some users are reporting that after running it, it is self-deleting.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hans_gt

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
I had the same problem today – I tried accessing support a number of times, without success.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
I had the same problem today – I tried accessing support a number of times, without success.

If this was trying to contact telephone support ?
Then I would suggest that you give the tel support number a miss, they are a third party providing support on behalf of avast, not speaking directly to avast. I would proceed with your problem within the forums, which would probably best in your own new topic giving the relevant information. Or try the clean reinstall as suggested.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nigelle

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
Since you have folders from the old alwil and the new avast software, I would say it is best to do a clean install of the latest version, now avast 9.0.2008.
Does that means that I erase these folders ?

For the logs of crashes some were old December 2012 and other more recent May 2013. Can they be linked to freeze when downloading Windows updates of the Microsoft antivirus ? How to stop Microsoft antivirus ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Hopefully the uninstall utility (avastclear.exe) will remove those, if after running the avastclear.exe the old folders haven't been removed then yes manually remove them.

nigelle

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
I am VERY UN-happy :  >:( >:(

Friday I downloaded :
avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe   87 529 432   14/11/2013 21:19
avastclear.exe   350 080   14/11/2013 21:18

Saturday I started my XP in safe mode on the command line interface and I typed fullpath\avastclear.exe : this was not recognized as a command or exe... Why ?
I thought that I have noted wrongly the name and entered fullpath\aswClear.exe   306 736   05/10/2011 22:01 that I used in a previous occasion. Success was reported with erasure of register keys, etc. .
So I rebooted to normal Windows.
I went to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\ : it was still here and huge : I erased it.
I went to c:\Program Files\ and erased the Avast part that was still here.
Then I used CCleaner to check and correct my register keys, avast keys were still here. CCleaner corrected this.
I tried several times to execute the downloaded avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe : crash of windows on the first avast icon with the turning whell and check of the disk partition...
I downloaded again (from 01net ) thinking that the previous download was corrupted : avast_free_antivirus_setup01.exe   85 269 544   16/11/2013 17:05 not the same size : Why ?
Same crash as the previous version !
I tried avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe   4 735 048   06/11/2013 15:03 that I have used to install Avast 2014 : partial success : it was installed but not running, and asked for registration before becoming active when registered. I thought that I had 30 days for registration ! The online exe is nice because it allow the installation of Avast in an other partition : 316 MO. off-loaded of C: ! (I have checked, nothing in c:\Program Files). But the logs remain in C: .

When I tried to receive my mails from Gmail with Thunderbird I found an other problem : the new address with encryption at Thunderbird level was working but the old ones defined at the time where encryption was done by Avast have stopped to work. I tried without success to modify the parameters in the old account : I had to suppress the old account, and create a new one with the saved profile and mailboxes but the filters are no more working : I have to reinitialise the folder definition...

Do you wish to discourage users ?
I do not receive any mail when a reply is posted. Why ?