Author Topic: How to scan locked archive files?  (Read 3205 times)

bigbobbysd

How to scan locked archive files?
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
After a scan Avast! shows me a very long list of password locked archive files that it cannot scan. I have not intentionally password locked any archive files. Would anyone know how to undo this and/or get Avast! to scan these files?
Thanks for your help. Peace..... ???

spg SCOTT

Re: How to scan locked archive files?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
Hi bigbobbysd,

I'll steal a post from DavidR that explains it pretty well here:

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

The unable to scan list is only available during that Simple User Interface (SUI) on-demand scan session, once you clocs that window and the SUI, it is discarded in the Home version.

-Scott-

bigbobbysd

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
Thanks, that was the problem. I had recently added "delete usage tracks in SpyBot" and did not realize it  now made a back-up of all fixes. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Peace........

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
You're welcome, glad to help :)

-Scott-