Author Topic: Trial Mode - Where did that come from?  (Read 3076 times)

callmeandy

Trial Mode - Where did that come from?
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
All of a sudden I get a message popping up the other day saying your license will expire soon. "you need to purcahse a license to stay protected". I dont recall any mtion to upgrade and I have been using the free version for maybe a couple of years.

My incoming emails had started missbehaing as well suddenly loads of stuff routed into spam folders that had been perfectly accurately assessed until recently and marked ***SPAM***. they are not spam! they are legitimate.

I couldnt work out what was doing this and then I realise that the trial version of Avast has a built spam functionality at least by default.
Is this unexpected switch to "trial" the cause?
How can I fix this? - I dont want another layer of anitispam.
How can I get back to the free version?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:22:44 PM by callmeandy »

callmeandy

Re: Trial Mode - Where did that come from?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
Actually I say that >>I realise that the trial version of Avast has a built spam functionality at least by default.
Well according to the interface it marks by default as ***SUSPICIOUS*** or ***VIRUS***
However it is still conicidental and as nothing else has changed on the system I am still forced to assume this is the culprit

I want virus scanning of course just not spam filtering. I use PopFile which is working well for me and have no wish to switch to an unknown quantity.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
well you must have installed AIS (avast internet security) as the free version does not have anti spam

so i guess you need to reinstall

free here  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108170.0

callmeandy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
Well of course its possible that if Avast is crafting upgrade pages to subtly disguise their wish for you to trial their advanced product I may have done this inadvertantly. I hope that was not the case.

And I am aware that the free version does not have anti spam. Which is where I wished to stay.

So as you say I guess it is a reinstall then. Irritatating!

A small thumbs down for avast which in all other ways I must say has prooved a valuble asset.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
@ callmeandy
Is it possible that during a program update you clicked the Update with Internet Security Trial (see image, click to expand) ?

If so then it should be possible to revert back from within the trial version, without having to do a clean reinstall of the free version. That said that may be the best option to ensure all remnants of the trial are gone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

callmeandy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
Hello David,

I dont think it is possible, no, if it was ticked by default which is kind of the scenario i referred to as "crafting upgrade pages to disguise their wish for you to trial their advanced product"  then yes it would have been possible although certainly not my choice. If it required proactive input from me almost certainly no.

There was some sort of problem with Avast about a week back which roughly coincides with things going astray however where two seperate messages showed an inconsistancy saying I was protected but the other saying I was disconnected.

I dont know retrospectivly if this was during an update or not - to much water since then.

I will do a reinstall as per your suggestion but I do not see any kind of rollback mecahnism can you point us more explicitly?

Andy Seabrook

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
I can't be more specific as I have never used the Trial function, I don't know if there is something in the avastUI, Summary section or possibly more related in the Maintenance section where you would go for updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security