Author Topic: FAQ for avast! Mobile Security  (Read 119201 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
FAQ for avast! Mobile Security
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
Here's a high-level FAQ that I just wrote based on the feedback we have received so far: https://blog.avast.com/2011/12/30/faq-ams

And here's an alternative FAQ on our support site: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1034

Enjoy!

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: FAQ for avast! Mobile Security
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
Good reading.
I've posted a comment (an a question there).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
Can you please reprahse that question there? I'm not sure I'm getting it... :-[
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
I've done.

cooby

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
Vlk, both at Wilders and here we reported avast works fine on android 3.2, at least on the Thrive. Yet the support still talks about android 2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
Comments are gone.
Should we continue to discuss it here or on the private forum?

MrJohnGalt09

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Hello,

I have a few questions which were not addressed in the FAQ however I imagine they would be extremely common ones. My Evo 3D has been lost or stolen while switched off, with the latest Avast! Mobile Security build as of January 27th installed with root access.

1) If I send SMS commands while the phone is off, will the commands be received and implemented by Avast if/when the phone is turned on? Or can the commands be successfully received only when the phone is on at the time of sending?

2) I use Google Voice to handle all of my text messaging and had messages to the default Android SMS client on the phone shut off. Is this a problem?

3) I had an unlock pattern set. Will the 'SET LOCKTEXT' command display over the unlock pattern?

Thanks so much to the Avast! team and community for taking the time to answer these questions and I eagerly await any response!

Teknicl

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
I can answer 1 of 2 of your questions:

1.) Yes but you must send commands to your carrier assigned number.  Google Voice functions as an app not as a true SMS client.
2.) No because of what is mentioned above.

Heather7380

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
My boyfriends phone was lost. Its not currently on we have to put time on it. Is there anyway to lock and locate it so we can get it back? We cant send sms

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »
If the device is turned off, you (or we) can't do anything about it. Why you can't send sms?

Filip

fgnico

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
hello
I've read the various post but I sghould say they are only with  generic infos

The question I've made here was for

ASUS TABlet FT 201 trasformer prime without 3G

Where can I see an read the instructions ?.. I know that the firewall is not active, ok,  but I don't know if the antiviruses runs and if there aare updates for it, even I don't see if it is runnig , its nice and beautiful to see the icon on the screen but... but...
You know whay I mean

I'm very satisfied with the soft internet security for my PC W7 ,, but here for my tablet Iv a little bit worried about

Hopping to have some infos about
Cheers
FGNico

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
If you see the icon in the notification bar, the antivirus etc is running just fine. If you install a new application, there should be a notification about scanning the app. I think the notifications on tablets are still not 100% done so you might need to keep an eye on the notification bar to see it.

You can test the Web Shield by visiting the web-shield-test.avast.com address in the default browser.

Version of the virus database can be seen in the Settings screen. The version should more or less correspond to the PC version. if you think there is a problem with it, you can try a manual update from the same screen.

Filip

bluephoenix

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »
Guys I downloaded avast mobile but when I tried to activate the Anti theft feature it prompted me that it would perform a factory reset! Is that necessary? Why would anyone activate this feature if it means that you have to delete everything on your phone? (contacts, sms, pics, videos etc)

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
It shouldn't give you that prompt.  Do you or did you in the past have another antivirus on the device?

bluephoenix

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
Yes. Mc Affee was installed by factory. I registered first with it, but then I uninstalled it coz I didn't want to pay the fee. Does it have to do something with that?