Author Topic: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??  (Read 23158 times)

cakedoer2

Re: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 10:55:08 PM »
Guys... he's on v4.7.

Upgrading to 4.8 will probably solve it.

Also, what you are looking at in the forums is a few people having problems with it. That doesn't mean the program doesn't work for everybody. There is no perfect solution. As updates come and go, problems disappear, so you shouldn't hesitate to upgrade to v5 if you haven't paid for 4.8 (as in, you have 4.8 Home).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:06:00 PM by cakedoer2 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
Guys... he's on v4.7.

He's not, please read the whole thread..! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

cakedoer2

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
Sorry, missed one of his posts. So basically my first reply in this thread with the first two sentences removed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Sorry, missed one of his posts.

No problem..! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
Avast 4.8 Home Edition installations that are close to expiring (say a few months before expiring) are now getting pop-ups asking the users to upgrade to v5. If you absolutely want to stay with v4.8 (which I don't think is a good idea as v5 is superior in multiple aspects, including virus detection rates), a way to do it is re-register your v4.8 Home Edition (i.e. requesting a new key and inserting it to the program) - a process which will effectively push the expiration date to June 2011.
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Proteus

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
I had a fear that things would not be as easy as you made all them out to be.

I installed 5 as you all suggested and avast says the installation is complete but I cannot do any scans.

When I click on the scan tab in the left side bar I get 4 rectangles that are completely blank save for the icons on the left side of each. No controls and no way at all to do settings or start scans and cannot locate any way to turn them on. Tried a repair without success. Even worse, after using the restore point created during the install, 4.8 is nowhere to be found. Using safe mode and reverting to a restore point made 1 week ago is no better as what remains of 4.8 is apparently not enough to get it running.

The rest of the GUI seems to display and work properly.

The system is clean; I hope some of you have some suggestions!!

(I year old custom built laptop with XP Home sp3, intell duocore processor, 2 gb ram 160 gb hd, Comodo 3.14 firewall, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, regular online scans with ESET, and Sophos)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:29:23 PM by Proteus »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
Usually a simple reboot is enough to solve this glitch... can you confirm that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
Why don't the setup ask to a reboot all the times? I can't understand this policy... Simpler programs ask for a reboot and why not the antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:28 PM »
Because it's not needed.

Proteus

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »

I rebooted several times during the process of trying to discover a remedy for this condition and again after reading your posting and what I can confirm is that nothing has changed.
  • I rebooted immediately after the install was completed
  • I rebooted again after customizing the other settings and options
  • I ran system restore and chose the restore point created by the installation. It is misleading to call it a restore point since the system no longer contains the reason one would most likely run system restore: to return to 4.8
  • I entered safe mode and reverted to a restore point one week older. It restored the 4.8 icon to the desktop but did not restore enough of the files to start 4.8. The uninstaller must also be incomplete as I cannot remove what remains of 4.8 via add/remove.
  • I downloaded an installed 5 again from the Avast web site and the condition remains... nothing under the scan tab except blank rectangles.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:34:28 PM by Proteus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »
Because it's not needed.
And so? Will the users continue to come here to say that they see nothing into the scanning window? ???

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:41 AM »
got to say I never had to reboot after installing the "free" version... was immediately operational. Okay it doesn't seem to be the case for some...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 02:45:46 AM »
got to say I never had to reboot after installing the "free" version... was immediately operational.
Even the scannings?
Installed from scratch or updated?

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 12:39:25 PM »
got to say I never had to reboot after installing the "free" version... was immediately operational.
Even the scannings?
Installed from scratch or updated?

including the scanning processes, yes, and just when installed from scratch. Rebooting is always necessary when updating, you're prompted ("free" version). All would keep working fine anyway after updating and not rebooting, but most likely without integrating the version changes.

Proteus

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
Thank you for your concern.

While you were bickering among yourselves I removed 5 and installed the Comodo Internet Security package which is working properly on my system.

I will try to remove what remains of 4.8 manually in hopes that Avast may someday find a solution for the problem I had.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:38:17 PM by Proteus »