Author Topic: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??  (Read 23284 times)

De Hollander

Re: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out so well.

Did you use avast uninstall utility  http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility to remove any traces of previous versions.

Jack 1000

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
I have had no luck in searching for a solution to pop ups that I am constantly getting.

Can you describe the pop-up you are getting?  There's a couple that I know of that are part of the Avast program.  Bare with me if I am paraphrasing here:

I have Avast 5.0, but from what I remember from 4.8, you get usually twice a day:

"Your Virus Definitions Have Been Updated."

If you have the program set to "Ask When Update is Available, you get this message:

"A new version of Avast is available click here to download." (or it might say Click For More Information)

If there was a problem updating you might get a message that says something like this:

"Your Avast Anti-Virus Software is out of date."

The other one is that after one year, (or after any new install of Avast, you must register the product for 12 months of free updates and upgrades.  When you have about 20 days left to go before your license expires, you will get a message from Avast that says something like:

"Your Avast License expires in (number of days)  Click here for renewal information.

The early releases of 5.0 in January were very buggy, but for the last 2-3 months, millions of users have benefited from Version 5.0.  It is much better than 4.8, is lighter on resources, and the registration process is much easier.  You should uninstall version 4.8 and get 5.0.  We can help you register it as well.  If this software had only been out for about a month or so, I would say, wait, but it is really good now.  Certainly the best free AV out there.

Do my above examples illustrate the types of pop-up message you are getting?  Do they all say Avast in the right-hand corner of your screen? You should consider updating to version 5.0.  It sounds like you are getting messages from your old Avast product recommending that you update.  

You can certainly stick with version 4.8 if you choose, but as of December 31, 2010 Avast will no longer apply any more updates of any kind to 4.8.  At that time, you would have to upgrade to version 5.0 or choose another AV program.  Some people have tried Microsoft Security Essentials, and found that it works well.  BUT the majority of people who have used MSE come back to Avast, because they like it the best of the free AV that they have used.

Regardless, you should have only ONE AV on your computer to prevent slowdown and memory conflicts.  Make sure you remove any competing AV software before you install a new AV program.  Although it is not required to remove Avast 4.8 to install Avast 5.0, manual removal of 4.8 is recommended for best results.

I am very happy with Avast 5.0 and it works fine on my old Dell Desktop PC (Windows XP) (SP-3)

Jack
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:29:24 PM by Jack 1000 »

spunabearing

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 04:25:24 AM »
Just ignorer this minor glitch,Im sure there well be a patch soon.