Author Topic: Boot scan times anyone?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

Boot scan times anyone?
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
On WinXP, SP3, I'm running a boot scan with avast 5.0.462, and after 40 minutes, it was still on 0%.
After it got out of the Docs&Settings folder, it picked up speed... now at 15% after 50 minutes.
I'm aware that boot scans are meant for cleaning infections, but it looks like you'd better have the whole day on hand to run a full system boot scan!
Anyone have any boot scan times to report?
Also I'd be interested in learning if boot scans are capable of finding infections that regular scans (with the OS fully loaded) don't catch?
I'm waiting for the 1 hour mark to post the % scanned.
:)
Okay, 1 hour in and it is at 38%.

Final boot scan time 2hours 7 minutes.  Not as terrible as I thought.  40 minutes and still on 0% had me worried!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:37:40 AM by Snagglegrain »

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Boot scan times anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Hi,

Maybe you have archive file or video or audio file on your system, that's causing way avast sometimes a bit slowly when you do a boot-time scan.

And are you check to scan PUP and Unpack Archives file too?

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
Hi,

Maybe you have archive file or video or audio file on your system, that's causing way avast sometimes a bit slowly when you do a boot-time scan.

cheers,
Yes, I have checked PUPs and archives.  I guess they were both unchecked by default and I checked them?  (I've forgotten, sorry.)

The scan took a real long time (10 minutes) on the Wsusscn2.cab file in the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer folder.  I'm 2+ hours into the scan and it's at 92%.

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »
 ::) i think boot scan takes time according to the size of your file(s)
but boot scan have more advantage than normal scan,
coz some malware cannot be detected when it is active
coz it has a metamorphic properties, ;D
this is only what i think maybe not the same what you think ::) :P ;D

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »
Thanks bong2x.  :)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
Hi,

cheers,
Yes, I have checked PUPs and archives.  I guess they were both unchecked by default and I checked them?  (I've forgotten, sorry.)

The scan took a real long time (10 minutes) on the Wsusscn2.cab file in the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer folder.  I'm 2+ hours into the scan and it's at 92%.

Hi,

Sure, no problem.

Sometimes i lose my mind too...
But as long as avast! still protected you from suspicious thread, that's better than nothing.  ;D

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya