Author Topic: Avast! asks for password, yet I never set one. Any help?  (Read 15967 times)

AndrewYanthar

Avast! asks for password, yet I never set one. Any help?
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
I have installed version 4.8. Since then, avast! is asking me for a password for practically anything, and I never set a password for the program. Is the password a license key? If not, is there any other way to reset the password without reinstalling the program? Thanks for any help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! asks for password, yet I never set one. Any help?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:00:38 AM »
What is your operating system as this doesn't sound like avast (an image of the message would be handy) ?
Sounds more like a Vista UAC hassle.

Are you running under a limited user account ?

The only password in avast is to protect the program settings and you must first have set one up, but that would only pop-up when you attempt to access/edit the program settings.

So what exactly were you doing at the time ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AndrewYanthar

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
I am running windows XP professional. Here is a picture of the program asking for a password:

We are using the free version. And what I basically want to do is just turn off the program for a few minutes. I want to use the nintendo wi-fi USB connector, but avast is blocking the connector's access to the computer. I was thinking about turning it off on taskbar manager, but I have trouble figuring out what the program name is on taskbar manager.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
That password is for avast settings not the license key.
The better way to reset the password is uninstalling/installing again (if you don't know the password) or just change it to a blank (none) one (if you know it).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
Now we have the root of the problem.

What do you mean by blocking access to your computer (avast isn't a firewall), do you mean it is alerting, e.g. detecting it as infected ?

If so then we should confirm if the detection is good or false, if false, exclude it from scans  send the file for analysis and correction of the VPS. I will show how to do this if that is what it is.

First I have never seen this pop-up so I can't say for certain that it is avast's, assuming that it is. If you didn't set a password have you tried simply clicking OK without entering anything ?

Don't try disabling vial the task manager the self-defence module will block that, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop On-Access Protection, remember to start when you are done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AndrewYanthar

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Nintendo wi-fi USB Connector noted that you may need to turn off your firewall and antivirus programs to use it. I remember doing it about a year ago, and I needed to turn off avast, and my firewall. I tried clicking OK without entering anything, and it still says incorrect password. If I select Stop On-Access Protection, it will ask for the password. It will also ask for it when I want to pause or stop a provider. And at the picture, you can see the avast icon on the top left of the window, so I know for sure that it's avast. I have also tried turning it off at task manager, but it says that access is denied.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
Personally I would ignore that instruction, I can see no good reason for it, what are they doing that they need to disable your protection ?

Try it without disabling your protection AV and firewall and see if it works.

Looks like someone with admin privileges has set a password (though could just be a hiccup), does anyone else have computer access as an admin group account ?

As Tech says if there is a password set (or the impression of it) then the only way round this is a reinstall.

You didn't say what OS this is on or if you are running as a limited user ?

AndrewYanthar

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
I am running this on Windows XP. I am on a adminstrator account, however there are other administrator accounts on the computer as well. I have tried with the firewall and avast, and without the firewall and avast. And on the wi-fi USB connector I would get error 52040, which means that it cannot access to the computer's internet connection. I may try other software instead of the software that was included with the USB connector.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
I was about to say Terminate the Network Shield and se if that is enough (but you have the password issue), so you are unfortunately going to have to reinstall to get round that problem first. Then you can try the terminate network shield

Are you intending on going on-line in the no AV/Firewall state (a definite no no), or is this just for off-line use or setting up the wi-fi, etc. ?

AndrewYanthar

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »
I am trying to install it, which doesn't require online access. But then I will need to access online with the wi-fi, so I will be in a no AV/Firewall state for a few minutes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »
They have to be absolutely crazy to insist on this, it is totally irresponsible to advise a user to go on-line with their trousers round their ankles (figuratively speaking).

Now you can get infected in minutes on-line with no defence, I would fire off an angry email to their support for even suggesting this and ask them to indemnify you for going on-line without protection. I bet I know what there answer would be if you ever got one, 'no chance' of them agreeing to indemnify you.

It makes me mad and it isn't even my system, there is no way I would comply with the dancing naked on the internet whilst their setup configures itself, etc.

I would have though it was possible to install it off-line (nothing in the software/help file, or web site support/forum, etc.) at least set it up, switch your protection back on and then go on-line for any updates to install off-line.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
However there are other administrator accounts on the computer as well.
avast (and other programs) does not work well in this scenario.
Windows itself is thought to have just one account with admin and other common users.
The access and password set by one administrator is 'blocking' the other accounts... but that message should appear only if you are trying to shutdown a provider, or change the resident settings.
The best things in life are free.

Hemarr

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
I have installed version 4.8. Since then, avast! is asking me for a password for practically anything, and I never set a password for the program. Is the password a license key? If not, is there any other way to reset the password without reinstalling the program? Thanks for any help!

I have same problem and none of the Post seem to try to answer the question that is it asks

""avast! is asking me for a password for practically anything, and I never set a password for the program""

since you can't enter a password because you did not enter one in the install how are you able to turn it off to try to unistall and reinstall again?

I'm not a newbie around pc,s   but when i try to uninstall it says an error occured program can not be uninstalled

i'm assuming it can't un install because its running, so here i am.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
Try a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.