Author Topic: False positive: mail8.domain.com  (Read 2464 times)

hydrannt

False positive: mail8.domain.com
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »
A few days ago, nework shield started blocking access to mail8.domain.com, which is the incoming mail server for one of my e-mail accounts. When I send/receive in Outlook '07, the On-Access Scanner message pops up indicating that Network Shield has blocked access to malicious site "mail8.domain.com"

I have sent two messages to the support team with no reply.

I am running 4.8 Pro

The only way to get my e-mail is to use webmail or disable Network Shield

Why can't users input their own exceptions... seems like others have had valid sites blocked. How can I get this fixed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: False positive: mail8.domain.com
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »
Please don't post multiple topics for the same problem, I have answered your first topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41487.msg348208#msg348208.

I appreciate that you probably considered after posting it that it wasn't in the correct forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hydrannt

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
Thanks David,

If Avast support had responded to my support submission (3 days ago) I wouldn't have felt compelled to post at all to the forums. Since I have no idea who responds to / reviews form posts and since I have seen several similar postings referred to the false positive forum, I reposted here.

Any particular reason why users can't add their own exceptions? I have seen other posts where youtube, world of warcraft, and other legit sites hav been blocked.

BTW, I can access webmail as my webmail login routes through my actual domain...

How long does it take to verify false positives? Domain.com is a domain registration / hosting service.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:29:40 AM »
Simply because there is no means of inputting it as there is in the Web Shield, this is a new element/function added to the Network Shield so I don't know what the reason is or if there are likely to be further tweaks in the future to add exclusions or perhaps share that of the web shield.

I'm just an avast user like yourself so I'm not privy to future developments, other than what I glean from the forums.

I have no idea how long it might take, but when a file which is confirmed as an FP it is usually resolved quickly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security