Author Topic: avast vs. avg vs. bitdefender vs. anti vir  (Read 16200 times)

hkboy313

avast vs. avg vs. bitdefender vs. anti vir
« on: July 21, 2005, 06:45:51 PM »
all in free versions... which do you suggest being better computer performance...for viruses or firewall or just overall internet security?  why is one better than the other?  i have read reviews on some...just wanted to know what you guysthink... thanks in advance!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avast vs. avg vs. bitdefender vs. anti vir
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 06:54:38 PM »
avast is the most complete FREE AV sollution in the world - it's true. Antivir lacks of simple things as mail scanner, Bit defender as i remember doesn't have even resident protection, AVG is not bad but it has problems with big updates and updates servers. avast updates is small, fast, it has a lot of providers which helps to keep your system secure.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:23:17 PM by =YLAP= »

hkboy313

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 07:14:07 PM »
ylap,

thanks so much for ur help!

i have used it before...and the 'yellow and blue' popup warning sign also gets annoying. how can u turn that off to become automatic?

thanks again

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:20:31 PM »
You are talking about automatic update notification? clear the marked box.

hkboy313

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 07:41:47 PM »
ya, thats the thing. but also if they find a virus or something that had just been transferred or whatever, it pops out a blue and yellow window listing a warning or something.  do you know what i mean?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 07:48:17 PM »
It's resident scanners information. by default it should appear only then virus or other malware detected and the text should be in red. In other cases it will be shown only if detailed info function in residents is ticket. Text is shown in black.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 07:56:18 PM »
ya, thats the thing. but also if they find a virus or something that had just been transferred or whatever, it pops out a blue and yellow window listing a warning or something. do you know what i mean?
This function 'Show detailed info on performed action' is off by default so you must have been tweaking the settings to see this.

This is the location to switch on or off for the email scanner and same tweak in the 'Advanced Tab' for standard shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hkboy313

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 08:09:51 PM »
thanks david and ylap

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 08:13:04 PM »
You're welcome! Good luck using avast!  ;D It's pleasure to help to others!  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 08:31:20 PM »
Happy to help.

One thing not to forget is support, and you can get that here in abundance, unlike other free version (very little, restricted or none), if you have a problem that is when you find out a lot about the software designers/support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 10:24:51 PM »
The only free version I haven't tried yet is Bit Defender. 

AVG:  It's scan engine is quick however when I tried it, I had to do a Manuel update and when I detect the virus I had soo much time  removing the virus, it wasn't even funny at first.

Anti Vir: Heck alot better and easier than AVG, I sometimes recommend this to novice users.  But Anti Vir doesn't have a place to quarantine the infected file, it either repair or delete which sucks cause then you don't know if it's a false positive or not until it's too late.  The updates are big and the server is always bad in the mornings (at my time zone that is). 

Avast!:  Unlike Anti Vir and AVG (which has one or two shields)  avast! has at least 7 Shields which does take a reasonable amount of memory from your RAM.  I love the Webshield and how it detects and BLOCKS the virus from the website.   Automatic updates (enjoy it) which I must say are small (wonderful).  A few bugs but most of the time it's solve easily.

This is just my review base on my personal experience, but you can choose which antivirus that best suites you and you're allow to change your mind.   :)